414 Crash

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
It's getting better ...

Ungh.

This is starting to remind me of when I was in high school. I was a ‘flag man’ for a crop dusting operation. Some days I’d see a turning air tractor do a high speed over the runway, not having announced himself over CTAF, then do some aerobatic maneuver like a loop or barrel roll.

Then Mr. Hot Shot had an accelerated stall, and, as they say in the South “Get ‘eemself kilt dead”.

The local paper went on and on about him being a family man and how the family was looking to sue Air Tractor for negligence, blah blah blah, but I don’t think his family knew that he had a history of reckless behavior in an airplane. Even at 15, when my prefrontal cortex was too young to assess risk, I still thought, “This isn’t going to turn out good”.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
I know controllers that were fired during the ATC strike in 1981, and also those that either went back into work / kept going into work.
None of them seem to hold any grudges towards those that stayed at work and don't have as strong an opinion about it as pilots on here.
That is not correct.

I’m PATCO class of ‘81 and I hate scabs. My former best friend ran in and got hired to scab on us. I’ve not talked to him since.

Lacy flew the Chino Airshow until a couple years ago, him being there rubbed me the wrong way.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
That is not correct.

I’m PATCO class of ‘81 and I hate scabs. My former best friend ran in and got hired to scab on us. I’ve not talked to him since.

Lacy flew the Chino Airshow until a couple years ago, him being there rubbed me the wrong way.
Yeah I was gonna say I’ve never met or seen a PATCO controller who forgives the scabs. Hell some of them consider NATCA a scab Union.

USMCmech

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
What I'm reading here is there are a bunch of thugs who are bitching about someone, most likely upset because an old guy was a better pilot than them.
If by "old guy" you mean "self centered ass, who put his own gratification above that of his fellow brothers and sisters", then, maybe. Otherwise... no. His pilot skills have zero bearing on anything the second he walked over the line.

And honestly, i don't know of a 121 pilot out there who dislikes somebody because they are a "better pilot". I know guys who dislike other pilots because they are wealthier or have a hot spouse or a cool boat, or travel a lot or have kids that got into better schools... but not because of how good a pilot they might be. What does that even mean?

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
And honestly, i don't know of a 121 pilot out there who dislikes somebody because they are a "better pilot". I know guys who dislike other pilots because they are wealthier or have a hot spouse or a cool boat, or travel a lot or have kids that got into better schools... but not because of how good a pilot they might be. What does that even mean?
I don't like bad pilots, for sure.

Inverted

The journey is the meat in the goal sandwich
True. And he'll never be forgiven, but having spent some time with him I dispute the fact that he isn't a good man, he didn't make a fortune as an airline pilot. But he did build a company that employs a lot of people outside of the airlines.
Lied about his age, crossed a picket line, then created a charter company that underpaid and just kept pilots on call 24/7. Tell me more about how he is a good man and of sound moral character...

Inverted

I know controllers that were fired during the ATC strike in 1981, and also those that either went back into work / kept going into work.
None of them seem to hold any grudges towards those that stayed at work and don't have as strong an opinion about it as pilots on here.
That’s because they didn’t cross a picket line. Apples and oranges here...

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Lied about his age, crossed a picket line, then created a charter company that underpaid and just kept pilots on call 24/7. Tell me more about how he is a good man and of sound moral character...
You do understand that not all of his employees are pilots right? I've heard stories of him giving check rides in Lears that ended up with the copilot in tears because Clay was such an a-hole. I know a lot of people here hate him, but I actually spent some time with him and I'm thankful that he built that company and I was able to gain extremely valuable experience. I had him come at me once with some sense of anger while I was working on one of his airplanes and wanted to know what I was doing, and more importantly why I was doing it. I explained it and everything was fine. There are a large group of people who have benefited from Clays endeavors in general aviation (and the majority aren't pilots), like I said I haven't had any contact with him in over a decade, but I do fondly recall the time I spent working there.

Inverted

You do understand that not all of his employees are pilots right? I've heard stories of him giving check rides in Lears that ended up with the copilot in tears because Clay was such an a-hole. I know a lot of people here hate him, but I actually spent some time with him and I'm thankful that he built that company and I was able to gain extremely valuable experience. I had him come at me once with some sense of anger while I was working on one of his airplanes and wanted to know what I was doing, and more importantly why I was doing it. I explained it and everything was fine. There are a large group of people who have benefited from Clays endeavors in general aviation (and the majority aren't pilots), like I said I haven't had any contact with him in over a decade, but I do fondly recall the time I spent working there.
So he’s employed non pilots and that makes him a legend?

People still talk about Bob Hoover, and will continue to for decades to come. Nobody cares about Clay Lacy for a multitude of reasons. Sure he isn’t winning any hearts in the 121 world, but more so, he’s just a guy that did some cool things. Guess how many guys have existed who have done cool things? Thousands. Lacy hasn’t done anything to make his efforts and achievements legendary or immortal. On to the next one...

knot4u

Repeat Offender
So he’s employed non pilots and that makes him a legend?

People still talk about Bob Hoover, and will continue to for decades to come. Nobody cares about Clay Lacy for a multitude of reasons. Sure he isn’t winning any hearts in the 121 world, but more so, he’s just a guy that did some cool things. Guess how many guys have existed who have done cool things? Thousands. Lacy hasn’t done anything to make his efforts and achievements legendary or immortal. On to the next one...
Who said he was a legend? I've never worked with a legend, if you have you should write a book ASAP. Then you can retire and stop flying.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
That’s because they didn’t cross a picket line. Apples and oranges here...
What? You’re familiar with the 1981 ATC strike right? That was the PATCO union and they absolutely crossed a picket line.

And maybe it’s different cause I’m in the northeast and stinger is in Texas, but the PATCO guys I know absolutely have not forgiven those who crossed.

Inverted

What? You’re familiar with the 1981 ATC strike right? That was the PATCO union and they absolutely crossed a picket line.

And maybe it’s different cause I’m in the northeast and stinger is in Texas, but the PATCO guys I know absolutely have not forgiven those who crossed.
I wasn't aware they were union prior to the strike, thanks for schooling me.