414 Crash

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
Would props over speed after a wing detachment?
I doubt it. Props are being driven down by the weight of the airplane and overspeeding according to the air flowing over them. Once the wings tear off, they’ll twist to a higher angle of attack, the inertia of the heavy plane will be gone, and thus the airflow over them drops dramatically.

Oxman

Re-watching it, as fast as it was, either it came apart from pure overspeed stress, or it was going so fast that if he did pull, it didn’t take much AoA change to do it. That Dash cam video makes it look like a pure overspeed breakup.
The NTSB report says "Single Pilot", "out of the cloud". Loss of SA?

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Could be any number of things, even possibly a medical issue. Time will tell whether the structural failure or anything associated with it is an initiating event, or a resultant event.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Reported earlier today that the pilot had a Chicago Police Department badge on him, but CPD has no record of him.

tomokc

The alias name - Antonio Pastini - appears in the FAA Airman database as a Nevada resident with a commercial rating.
The true name according to the deceased pilot’s daughter - Jordan Isaacson - does not appear.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Could be any number of things, even possibly a medical issue. Time will tell whether the structural failure or anything associated with it is an initiating event, or a resultant event.

I think it's crazy to fly at that age alone. Assuming a successful life, once I hit 65 I'm done flying at the airlines and in general. If I have an itch to fly a small Cessna/Piper, I won't go solo at that age. I'd take a CFI/safety pilot/private pilot along.

GypsyPilot

I think it's crazy to fly at that age alone. Assuming a successful life, once I hit 65 I'm done flying at the airlines and in general. If I have an itch to fly a small Cessna/Piper, I won't go solo at that age. I'd take a CFI/safety pilot/private pilot along.
I’ve seen 65 year olds that are in better shape than 30 year olds. It all just depends on one’s physical and mental health.

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Will be interesting to see if anything about his false identity results in his insurance company denying claims.

Cherokee_Cruiser

I’ve seen 65 year olds that are in better shape than 30 year olds. It all just depends on one’s physical and mental health.
True. But natural health issues like mental/heart conditions are more likely at an older age. Heart attack, seizure, passing out, any of those when flying alone will pretty much guarantee death. Look at airline pilots deaths while flying. How many of them were guys in their 20s or 30s. Virtually zero. Every death of an airline pilot while flying that I've come across was in their 50s and 60s.

N3901C

100%, the instructor who checked me out in a Pitts was in his early 70's but you would never know it he jumped in and out of the Pitts like a young dude. Hitting 65 and retiring from all flying would be a death sentence, I would just retire from straight and level flying.

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Everyone has a story of a 95-year old who can run Ironman triathlons, but the closest thing we have to a God on this rock we inhabit is the law of central tendency. That acne on your Tinder date's ass might not be an STD, that pitbull rescued from a drug house might not maul your kid, and your wife's best friend insisting she host a party at your house might not be trying to suck her into a pyramid scheme ...

...but probably not.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Everyone has a story of a 95-year old who can run Ironman triathlons, but the closest thing we have to a God on this rock we inhabit is the law of central tendency. That acne on your Tinder date's ass might not be an STD, that pitbull rescued from a drug house might not maul your kid, and your wife's best friend insisting she host a party at your house might not be trying to suck her into a pyramid scheme ...

...but probably not.
I disagree. All of those things are possible but not necessarily any more probable than the opposite outcome. I appreciate working with older pilots, most of the ego has dissipated and they just want to get things done.