40-50 Billion dollars to save an average of 10-15 minutes a flight

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
They need to close EWR, LGA, and TEB and build a Denver or at least another JFK to the northwest of the city. Connect it to the city with a dedicated high speed rail line and/or expressway. And also move N90 off of Long Island if they ever want to staff it properly.
I've often wondered if an artificial island airport somewhere offshore, with plenty of parallel runways and a subway or ferry connecting it to the city, would be a good idea as a replacement for EWR, LGA and JFK. But it might be cheaper to build it on land to the northwest, as in your suggestion. Perhaps it could even be a (very major) expansion to an existing airport, like Hackettstown.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I've often wondered if an artificial island airport somewhere offshore, with plenty of parallel runways and a subway or ferry connecting it to the city, would be a good idea as a replacement for EWR, LGA and JFK. But it might be cheaper to build it on land to the northwest, as in your suggestion. Perhaps it could even be a (very major) expansion to an existing airport, like Hackettstown.
Level Manhattan and turn it into an airport. Two bonuses in one.

Champcar

Who else is fuming at "NextGen." ? Ground based navigation is easy. I do not buy that VORs are as expensive to repair as the FAA says because radio waves are still used in cars, boats, and sports everywhere.
Government employees maintain those ground-based stations...I rest my case.

Doug Masters

will never be allowed by the taxi cab drivers. Why do you think LGA and JFK are not connected by the airtrain...
I don’t think the taxi industry would have the ability to stop something like that. The real reason for the horrible transit connections at LGA and JFK is Robert Moses. He intentionally designed them to only be accessible by car and made it as difficult as possible to connect them to the existing rail systems. That’s why we have the bandage system of AirTrain instead of actual links to the LIRR and subway.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I don’t think the taxi industry would have the ability to stop something like that. The real reason for the horrible transit connections at LGA and JFK is Robert Moses. He intentionally designed them to only be accessible by car and made it as difficult as possible to connect them to the existing rail systems. That’s why we have the bandage system of AirTrain instead of actual links to the LIRR and subway.
Robert Moses was a terrible human being. I don’t know how he was allowed to do what he did to this Island. Even the bridges on all the parkways are super low because he didn’t want the “riffraff” from the city being able to take busses to the beaches. And the parkway designs themselves are terrible. From complete lack of merge/exit lanes to the on/off ramps all having super sharp 15mph corners that require you to clog up the right lane while you’re slowing for the exit and attempting to get to highway speed from a standstill. Plus they’re all sunk 6”’s below ground level with concrete berms so they flood whenever it drizzles.

milleR

Robert Moses was a terrible human being. I don’t know how he was allowed to do what he did to this Island. Even the bridges on all the parkways are super low because he didn’t want the “riffraff” from the city being able to take busses to the beaches. And the parkway designs themselves are terrible. From complete lack of merge/exit lanes to the on/off ramps all having super sharp 15mph corners that require you to clog up the right lane while you’re slowing for the exit and attempting to get to highway speed from a standstill. Plus they’re all sunk 6”’s below ground level with concrete berms so they flood whenever it drizzles.
"The Power Broker" is a fascinating read if you want to know the history of that mess

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Who else is fuming at "NextGen." ? Ground based navigation is easy. I do not buy that VORs are as expensive to repair as the FAA says because radio waves are still used in cars, boats, and sports everywhere.
I know it is a troll post. But I had a client that did the maintenance on equipment and it is not cheap! Awesome talking with someone that deals with the infrastructure first hand. I just wish there were cheaper ways to get the information into our old G1000 and to be able to use the RNP approaches and fit in with the airlines. I hate hearing everyone get delay vectors because we are on a different approach to everyone else.

milleR

if you talk to hipsters that live in Brooklyn this is how they describe hurricane sandy
Sounds about right. The best part of Sandy was getting on a Xjet 145 that had been commandeered by United to deadhead nothing but crew to IAD to get people in place. Fun flight for everyone but that poor flight attendant.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Sounds about right. The best part of Sandy was getting on a Xjet 145 that had been commandeered by United to deadhead nothing but crew to IAD to get people in place. Fun flight for everyone but that poor flight attendant.
that's a lot of water bottles. fyi, they started giving us sliced lemons again :cool:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Clearly UAL saw the folly in that and decided beating passengers off the plane was a better way to make room