2020 DX Outlook With Coronavirus

flynryan692

It's not just about us as individuals. It's about all of those we come in contact with. Even someone who is young and appears otherwise healthy could have underlying issues you can't see like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

To say "odds are I'll be fine" is selfish and disgustingly misinformed.
All I said was that he probably won't have respiratory failure, and the statistics back up those odds. According the CDC data of US patients analyzed between Feb 12 to March 16, 12% of cases ended up hospitalized, and of that 20% of age 20-44 are hospitalized. 20% of 12% of cases with patients age 20-44 and no additional data as far as underlying health conditions in that group.

About 3% of cases analyzed ended up in the ICU, and of that 12% were age 20-44. So 12% of the 3% that ended up in ICU are age 20-44 with no data on underlying health conditions. It's likely all of these figures will drop as the data grows because the fact of the matter is most people are sent home to isolate and recover. Full CDC report here.

At no point did I say or imply that anybody should or shouldn't isolate, or even should or shouldn't care about themselves or others. I didn't say we should or shouldn't ignore this or do absolutely nothing or absolutely everything. It was a simple and statistically backed response to what that person said, that's it. You're the one that made assumptions and wants to come blasting in here to virtue lecture me on things I didn't say. This is possibly the most annoying thing about the entire pandemic, if you say anything other than "shut down the world we're all going to die" there is always somebody ready to jump down your throat to tell a stranger how bad of a person they are. It's ridiculous.

Wonderlic

All I said was that he probably won't have respiratory failure, and the statistics back up those odds. According the CDC data of US patients analyzed between Feb 12 to March 16, 12% of cases ended up hospitalized, and of that 20% of age 20-44 are hospitalized. 20% of 12% of cases with patients age 20-44 and no additional data as far as underlying health conditions in that group.

About 3% of cases analyzed ended up in the ICU, and of that 12% were age 20-44. So 12% of the 3% that ended up in ICU are age 20-44 with no data on underlying health conditions. It's likely all of these figures will drop as the data grows because the fact of the matter is most people are sent home to isolate and recover. Full CDC report here.

At no point did I say or imply that anybody should or shouldn't isolate, or even should or shouldn't care about themselves or others. I didn't say we should or shouldn't ignore this or do absolutely nothing or absolutely everything. It was a simple and statistically backed response to what that person said, that's it. You're the one that made assumptions and wants to come blasting in here to virtue lecture me on things I didn't say. This is possibly the most annoying thing about the entire pandemic, if you say anything other than "shut down the world we're all going to die" there is always somebody ready to jump down your throat to tell a stranger how bad of a person they are. It's ridiculous.
So angry

Mainline_or_bust

Airplanes fly on PFM, Change my mind

1584910939784.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnotd

Do we need to go back to where you said, "The media, ..., are doing a number on everybody"? The implication in that statement is that people are overreacting. If you believe people are overreacting, it can be reasonably inferred that you believe we should be more lax in our approach to handling this issue.

I stand by the statement that "odds are I'll be fine" is a disgustingly misinformed attitude because it is entirely self-focused and shows a complete lack of concern for others. If you were offended by a statement that wasn't calling you, specifically, selfish and misinformed (rather a mentality), maybe you need to evaluate where you stand.

But most importantly, who pissed in your cereal today?

flynryan692

Do we need to go back to where you said, "The media, ..., are doing a number on everybody"? The implication in that statement is that people are overreacting. If you believe people are overreacting, it can be reasonably inferred that you believe we should be more lax in our approach to handling this issue.

I stand by the statement that "odds are I'll be fine" is a disgustingly misinformed attitude because it is entirely self-focused and shows a complete lack of concern for others. If you were offended by a statement that wasn't calling you, specifically, selfish and misinformed (rather a mentality), maybe you need to evaluate where you stand.

Yeah, the media has everybody scared into think if they get infected they're going to be in an ICU on a ventilator and that simply isn't true, as the data I provided shows. In the group analyzed, 12% were hospitalized and 3% were in an ICU. If you get it odds are you won't even be hospitalized, and no that doesn't mean anybody should just throw caution into the wind, but it is a fact we should acknowledge. We should do our part to not get it and no spread it if we do get it, but the fear mongering is why people are panic buying, fighting in stores, etc.

Oh boy do I have a list for you. I apologize if it came off as "angry", I wasn't, not towards you anyway.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
From a Millennial who got sick with C-19:

"I’m 26. I don’t have any prior autoimmune or respiratory conditions. I work out six times a week, and abstain from cigarettes. I thought my role in the current health crisis would be as an ally to the elderly and compromised. Then, I was hospitalized for Covid-19.

While I was shocked at the development of my symptoms and my ultimate hospitalization, the doctors and nurses were not at all surprised. After I was admitted, I was told that there was a 30-year-old in the next room who was also otherwise healthy, but who had also experienced serious trouble breathing. The hospital staff told me that more and more patients my age were showing up at the E.R. I am thankful to my partner for calling the hospital when my breathing worsened, and to the doctor who insisted we come in. As soon as I received an oxygen tube, I began to feel slight relief. I was lucky to get to the hospital early in the crisis, and receive very attentive care.

There are many reasons to take Covid-19 seriously if you are a millennial. As one of the largest generations in the United States, we can have an enormous influence on the course of this pandemic. Since it’s hypothesized that many infected millennials won’t exhibit symptoms, our social distancing is crucial to the health of more vulnerable populations and can have a huge impact on flattening the curve. Unfortunately, much of our generation — and some of those younger than us — is not taking this public health crisis seriously enough. We’re continuing to gather in groups, travel internationally, and see quarantine as an extended spring break. As a generation with a supposed commitment to social justice, we should be stepping up in our role as allies to more vulnerable populations. Yet, somehow the message of staying home still isn’t permeating our ageism and ableism.

Millennials, if you can’t be good allies, at least stay home to protect yourselves. Our invulnerability to this disease is a myth — one I have experienced firsthand. Countries in Europe and Asia are reporting younger and younger patients. The New York Times reported this week that nearly 40 percent of hospitalized Covid patients in the U.S. are under 54 years old. What’s worse is that when medical professionals have been forced to make choices about who lives and who dies in other countries, our generation is often chosen to receive treatment. So not only are we risking our own health, our presence in hospitals diminishes the care other groups may receive.

We’re also a generation that tends to opt out of buying health insurance, as it’s expensive and many of us — myself included — work gig economy jobs that don’t provide benefits. We often live in crowded apartments with roommates, which means our ability to mitigate risks is lower, and we must rely on and trust each other. We’re also more likely to live with our parents than other generations, and thus may risk spreading the virus to loved ones with less chance of surviving it.

Millennials are reported to care deeply about wellness and social justice. I wish individuals weren’t facing such a high burden of responsibility, but in the absence of early and appropriate action from our government, we have no other choice. Now is the time to walk the talk. There is much about our society that we are inheriting that we can’t control. Let’s try to make an impact where we can."

FlyinRyan92

Let’s never forget that without pilots, a dispatcher has no job and without a dispatcher, a pilot has no job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogwoodLynx

I feel like shut down and furlough are forgone conclusion at this point. I know corporate says no but every week gets worse and worse on the economic/business side of things.

I know that’s not what anyone wants to hear but I don’t see any other way. I think the government funds MAY delay the inevitable a few months.

Personally, I’m operating off the assumption that my days are numbered. Kroger needs overnight stockers.

Hope I’m wrong.

CRJ200NEO

I feel like shut down and furlough are forgone conclusion at this point. I know corporate says no but every week gets worse and worse on the economic/business side of things.

I know that’s not what anyone wants to hear but I don’t see any other way. I think the government funds MAY delay the inevitable a few months.

Personally, I’m operating off the assumption that my days are numbered. Kroger needs overnight stockers.

Hope I’m wrong.
Well that doesn't sound very optimistic.
Could be reality, could fare better than you think.
The new stimulus package includes furlough protections as well as pay protections for unionized labor even if carriers file chapter 11. I guess we'll see what Washington will actually agree on. Good luck to all.

DogwoodLynx

Well that doesn't sound very optimistic.
Could be reality, could fare better than you think.
The new stimulus package includes furlough protections as well as pay protections for unionized labor even if carriers file chapter 11. I guess we'll see what Washington will actually agree on. Good luck to all.
I prefer to be a pragmatist.

IMHO, the stimulus package would do more good if they waited for the upswing and then sent it. Right now it’s pizzing money away.

If it gets much worse at the airlines, furlough is inevitable. Costs have to be cut and labor is a huge cut.

Right now in my department alone, the amount of work we have right now could be done with less people.

As a union member, I realize that I’m not supposed to say any of that but it’s how I see it.

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong!

A-9er

Just speaking as a member of the traveling public now, I'm putting my plans on hold because I'm worried about getting STUCK somewhere! I'm not worried about the virus itself; I think that the CV has been blown up WAY out of proportion. OMG, the world is ending! We've had viruses before, and we'll have 'em again. As my late mother said, this too shall pass. That's another rant though. It's not the threat of this virus keeping me from traveling. No, my concern is about a more practical matter-being stranded far from home.

I'm worried about getting locked down somewhere! There are what, 21 states now with shelter-in-place orders in effect? NJ went so far as to arrest people hosting a wedding at their home! These lockdowns are serious. So, until this mess settles down, I'm staying put. You know that, if you quarantine in a hotel, you're on the hook for those bills, right? Plus, I have to pay the pet sitter to watch my cats, and that adds up real quick like. If I go away for just 10 days, I have to factor in at least another $400 for that. I have a special needs cat who needs medicine twice a day, so I need to book two visits per day whenever I go away. So, if I have to be stuck somewhere, I'd rather it be at home with my cats. I not only have their company; I can properly care for them. I reckon that millions out there feel the same way: i.e. they don't want to be stranded far from home. Once these lockdowns end, people will travel again.

Wonderlic

I prefer to be a pragmatist.

IMHO, the stimulus package would do more good if they waited for the upswing and then sent it. Right now it’s pizzing money away.

If it gets much worse at the airlines, furlough is inevitable. Costs have to be cut and labor is a huge cut.

Right now in my department alone, the amount of work we have right now could be done with less people.

As a union member, I realize that I’m not supposed to say any of that but it’s how I see it.

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong!
I tend to agree. I think I read somewhere that airlines are burning over $10B in cash per month. $60B in liquidity will last no more than 6 months and they’re saying this thing could drag on for 18 months. Hence the airlines offer a few days ago to hold off on their planned mass layoffs until September 1st if they’re given the complete bailout they’re seeking. This is just a bandaid on a broken leg.

A-9er

Just leave food and water out for the cats, they’ll be fine
My special needs cat has kidney disease. I suspect THAT's the reason she was dumped at the shelter. Anyway, one of the complications of FKD is that she doesn't get enough water in her colon to soften up her stool. When I first adopted her, I had to put her in the veterinary hospital to unclog her innards; her stool was too hard to pass. To help her go to the bathroom, I have to give her a mix of water and Miralax twice a day. Plus, what about the water and food? Won't they run out at some point? If she were healthy, I could leave 'em alone overnight with extra food and water. However, with her kidney disease, she needs her laxative every day.

A-9er

I tend to agree. I think I read somewhere that airlines are burning over $10B in cash per month. $60B in liquidity will last no more than 6 months and they’re saying this thing could drag on for 18 months. Hence the airlines offer a few days ago to hold off on their planned mass layoffs until September 1st if they’re given the complete bailout they’re seeking. This is just a bandaid on a broken leg.
I don't think it'll go on that long. Airlines not only provide transportation for people and cargo; they're part of our national security. There's no way that the airline industry will be allowed to disappear.