2020 DX Outlook With Coronavirus

westcoastDX

Without spreading fear, would love to hear the temperature on the short-term and long-term outlook for Coronavirus. Unpaid leave, furlough, hiring freezes, delayed classes etc. Obviously this is a rapidly evolving situation with the airlines that people are trying to sort out.

Luigi

I’ll tell you what I tell all the new hires I’ve met. Have a few solid back up plans. For instance, furloughs go based on seniority; so if something unfortunate happened to some of the people senior to you...well then they wouldn’t need to furlough you anymore.

Stone Cold

The person that says they know what'll happen is a liar. Nobody knows how long the panic will last. It could be gone in a month or two, and it could be here a while.

You have to live your life, continue on, and do what's best for you, your family, and your career.

Best of luck to us all, and welcome to aviation.

Sandydfw

Stone Cold is right. No one knows what will happen. Currently airlines are hurting, reservations are way down,. flights are being canceled.
The panic maybe over in a few weeks or it may take airlines years to recover. It is all an unknown.

bbmikej

I can tell you at least one airline has restricted the OCC to essential only personnel due to prevention of spreading illness.
I've also heard rumors that one of them is going to be splitting the work between their main and back up OCCs to keep the number of people together down

Scarebus

There will be furloughs before another dispatcher gets hired at a major. Count on it.
I strongly suspect the same. This is going to be the most catastrophic event in the airline industry’s history, which is saying A LOT.

European airlines are operating what are essentially ferry flights to their international destinations to maintain their slots. Chinese airlines can’t sell tickets for $3. The CDC is now telling everyone to not fly. I don’t think any of us can really imagine what is about to go down.

paincorp

I think once the media has something else to move onto, we’ll see a pretty quick recovery, but right now this is getting ratings, which keeps the advertisers happy, and it’s a vicious cycle. Fear sells.

I’m curious to see if people feel the same about cargo airlines. If this really does cause companies to develop the ability to telecommute, and the bean counters see the cost savings, that could only mean good things for cargo since people will have to ship more instead of bringing with them. Granted the same thing was said the last time the economy took a nice steamy dump.

Delta Echo

I think once the media has something else to move onto, we’ll see a pretty quick recovery, but right now this is getting ratings, which keeps the advertisers happy, and it’s a vicious cycle. Fear sells.

I’m curious to see if people feel the same about cargo airlines. If this really does cause companies to develop the ability to telecommute, and the bean counters see the cost savings, that could only mean good things for cargo since people will have to ship more instead of bringing with them. Granted the same thing was said the last time the economy took a nice steamy dump.
People are not smart at all to listen to mainstream media beat the drum. That causes the stupidity we're seeing with all, "lock your doors and hoard toilet paper" lunacy going on. It also creates largely un-necessary travel downturn.

Green12324

Each company, and each department within them, is going to handle the developments differently. With that being said, the industry has been growing for the last 5+ years and that trend was expected to continue. The longer this downturn lasts the more aggressive companies will have to be in matching supply with demand and adjusting costs accordingly. My expectation is that hiring will flatline for the most part in Q2. If demand comes back up then Q3 would likely see a resumption in hiring, if it continues to decrease we'll likely see more aggressive staffing reductions. At the end of the day airlines exist to offer return on investment for shareholders, and they'll persue that goal above all else.

Disclaimer: I am but a lowly dispatcher, and have no specific or insider information to make my opinion any more legitimate than anyone else's.

Last edited: