2018 in Review...How Much Did You Fly?

ClearedForOption

French Computer Programmer and Systems Monitor
One of the guys at my shop made what I think is the ultimate map... he downloaded the individual Keyhole Markup Language files (KML) from FlightAware at the end of each day and stored them on his computer. (He posted that the steps were: View 'track log' then use '+ google earth' button.) Then he pasted that onto google earth and got a neat map with every flight track for the whole year.

That's serious dedication.

1546361473789.png

Alchemy

Partner, Ally, Friend
One of the guys at my shop made what I think is the ultimate map... he downloaded the individual Keyhole Markup Language files (KML) from FlightAware at the end of each day and stored them on his computer. (He posted that the steps were: View 'track log' then use '+ google earth' button.) Then he pasted that onto google earth and got a neat map with every flight track for the whole year.

That's serious dedication.

View attachment 46518

Cool! I did something similar at my last interview, except I did a map for each flying job I'd had, and stuck the printout in the front of my logbook. I just used great circle routings. It helped me get the job in my opinion, because it generated a fair bit of discussion on interview day. It's super nerdy but why deny what I am?
routes2.png

Last edited:

z987k

Cool! I did something similar at my last interview, except I did a map for each flying job I'd had, and stuck the printout in the front of my logbook. I just used great circle routings. It helped me get the job in my opinion, because it generated a fair bit of discussion on interview day. It's super nerdy but why deny what I am? View attachment 46523
You did a Melbourne to Santiago(or reverse)! I really would like to do a flight that went over Antarctica. Something like Perth to Ushuaia would be the optimal great circle routing. There's just not really much for city pairs between South America and Australia.

I was able to export a KML from my logbook and imported it to google maps to do an all time flights to.
Screenshot from 2019-01-02 06-00-43.png

averyrm

Seems I haven't posted on JC in four years, even though I've been lurking.

It's been almost 6 years since I've been able to add to this thread, but last summer I joined an exceptional group flying part 91.

So, 98h block.

Commercial Operation Paid? Lowest hr year ever. 184 hours.
Unpaid? Semi-paid? 386
Messed up year, flying wise.
I did do a lot of programming, and acquired a bunch of video editing skills. So there's that. Which is nice.