200 knots below Class B and NY airspace

T/O w/FSII

Sarcasm...whoosh over your head at 250 under the bravo...

But seriously...don't admit to that if you do it.
Did you read this thread at all? We have a NYC controller literally telling us not to. Slow going into TEB and they will bite your head off. Anywhere else in the states I don’t have that problem but NY because “it’s NY”

T/O w/FSII

more because there’s 4 airports in an 8 mile radius that all have finals on top or through each other
I don’t have a problem doing it but this thread is hilarious. I got one guy telling me not to admit it as a anonymous post on the Internet and I got another employee of the FAA telling me to make it happen. As if my name on the flight plan and my company call sign doesn’t give it away

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
Did you read this thread at all? We have a NYC controller literally telling us not to. Slow going into TEB and they will bite your head off. Anywhere else in the states I don’t have that problem but NY because “it’s NY”
Dude...lighten up.

And yeah I read that too, are you remotely surprised? I've had ATC ask me to do all sorts of illegal-ass (we can totally say ass on here) stuff over the years, I've also had them holler at me for following the rules. It's really not a big deal - they have wildly different priorities than we do on the job other than safety, they're thinking about different things than we are.

Fly the airplane, follow the rules as best you can even if ATC squawks at you, and be the PIC. Malicious compliance is a great way to get terrible procedures or impractical procedures changed. It's not that big of a deal.

greg1016

Trustworthy Source
If you interpret 91.117 in its entirety, I believe the spirit is that it applies to non-participatory (VFR 1200) aircraft. Section (b) has the language "unless authorized by ATC" (c) does not, and it should be amended to include that language. If you want a legal gymnastics competition, I'd say that speed restrictions by ATC would fall under the safe operations clause of section (d). ATC are not the sky police. Most controllers are not going to turn you in for violating a FAR unless it is the difference between the controller taking the fall or the pilot.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
if ATC can exempt you from speed limits, what else is flexible? Can line mechanics exempt you from maintenance portions of the rules? Can your chief pilot waive flight and duty limits?

T/O w/FSII

If you interpret 91.117 in its entirety, I believe the spirit is that it applies to non-participatory (VFR 1200) aircraft. Section (b) has the language "unless authorized by ATC" (c) does not, and it should be amended to include that language. If you want a legal gymnastics competition, I'd say that speed restrictions by ATC would fall under the safe operations clause of section (d). ATC are not the sky police. Most controllers are not going to turn you in for violating a FAR unless it is the difference between the controller taking the fall or the pilot.
It doesn’t say that whatsoever

z987k

if ATC can exempt you from speed limits, what else is flexible? Can line mechanics exempt you from maintenance portions of the rules? Can your chief pilot waive flight and duty limits?
Actually the speed limits are flexible, although, at least in this country, it's technically not ATC who lets us do greater than 250 below 10 on the way up.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Actually the speed limits are flexible, although, at least in this country, it's technically not ATC who lets us do greater than 250 below 10 on the way up.
If the minimum safe speed for operation is in excess of 200 (250) (whatever) and so on, but I know I don't need to tell you that.

z987k

If the minimum safe speed for operation is in excess of 200 (250) (whatever) and so on, but I know I don't need to tell you that.
It's interesting because we could always climb with flaps out to 10k and it'd be perfectly safe to do so. But, depending on the flight we might have just burned all our extra gas in the first 5 minutes of the flight.
The interpretation of that reg is certainly in a way to get the job done.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
It's interesting because we could always clump with flaps out to 10k and it'd be perfectly safe to do so. But, depending on the flight we might have just burned all our extra gas in the first 5 minutes of the flight.
Hell no. If my Green Dot is 235, I'm going to do 235.

nabbyfan

At my facility we’ve been briefed specifically that we do not have the authority to waive 250kts under 10k.

I work the majority of the Super/Heavy departures off LAX, and if a guy tells me he needs 260 out of 6000, I’m not gonna unable him. Like someone else said, we aren’t the sky police and 99.9999% of controllers don’t care about stuff like that. It’s the higher ups in the FAA that haven’t worked live traffic in 25 years that find rules and procedures to nitpick to make the operation harder on everybody actually doing it which sucks.