20/20 minus 1- First Class Medical

natid82

Hello friends!

I recently got my glasses prescription renewed. I have astigmatism, and the axis on the new prescription had me corrected to 20/20 -1 in my right eye and 20/20 in my left. The opticians are going to try getting me a better lens for the right eye, changing the axis a bit. They said I got 20/20 in the exam but it still may be missing 1 here and there.

My question is: Going for a 1st class medical, should I be concerned if I potentially miss one letter in the 20/20 line? If it does have a negative impact on my medical, is a SODA something I should start thinking about?

Best wishes,

Nati

natid82

Thanks for the reply A300Capt! I was wondering if the AME conducting the exam will fail you if you miss one letter on the 20/20 line?

web265

Direct answer to your question, no. I forget the percentage of the characters you have to get correct to score that line, but, I'm pretty sure it isn't 100%.

Having said that, maybe explore having your eye professional do an 8500-7, Report of Eye Evaluation. If you meet the standards in his/her office, save yourself the stress, He / she does the form, you give it to the AME and you don’t have to test again.

FlightSurgeon

Direct answer to your question, no. I forget the percentage of the characters you have to get correct to score that line, but, I'm pretty sure it isn't 100%.

Having said that, maybe explore having your eye professional do an 8500-7, Report of Eye Evaluation. If you meet the standards in his/her office, save yourself the stress, He / she does the form, you give it to the AME and you don’t have to test again.
I agree. Have the eye doc fill out a 8500-7. Take that to your AME and you should be good to go.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

PropSettin'

Low n Slow
I agree. Have the eye doc fill out a 8500-7. Take that to your AME and you should be good to go.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com
Would you be able to tell my AME this? In the last year I learned of the ability to do this form. I see great at optometrist but always struggle on AMEs machine. This year I take my 3 hour old 8500-7 that my optometrist filled out to the AME and hand it to nurse, she says “what’s this?” I said, it is a report from my optometrist in lieu of vision portion of exam. She says she’s never seen one and I’ll have to do full vision exam. We go round and round then AME comes in and says I will have to do full exam. I predictably struggle but pass. The point, not every AME knows about or will accept it. I know, get a different AME. Next year I will research better.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Would you be able to tell my AME this? In the last year I learned of the ability to do this form. I see great at optometrist but always struggle on AMEs machine. This year I take my 3 hour old 8500-7 that my optometrist filled out to the AME and hand it to nurse, she says “what’s this?” I said, it is a report from my optometrist in lieu of vision portion of exam. She says she’s never seen one and I’ll have to do full vision exam. We go round and round then AME comes in and says I will have to do full exam. I predictably struggle but pass. The point, not every AME knows about or will accept it. I know, get a different AME. Next year I will research better.
I think the majority of the AMEs know their mid-century equipment sucks. I always stress about it and then get my blood pressure taken after it, double whammy!

natid82

Hi everyone.

As promised here is what happened. I am visiting NC for the month and decided to get my prescription updates as well as see the AME here.

I did get my first class yesterday! The AME used a chart hung up on a wall. I was asked to read the 20/20 line with both eyes and then each eye separately. It was easier than I anticipated

Before signing my certificate and greeting me goodbye, I asked the doctor what would have happened if I missed a letter on the chart, his answer was: "It depends....on the AME", he said so long as I can read everything minus one it should not be held against me if other parts of my examination are all good.

I did bring the eye exam form with me, just in case, since I saw the 20/20 line and read the letters the nurse didn't need to see it.

Onwards and Upwards!