135 SIC Interview

EatSleepFly

What might I expect on an interview for a 135 SIC position?

Before you ask: Twin turbine, SIC required. Not PFT/PFJ or any of that BS. Fairly small operation. Its legit. Thats all I'm going to say at this point. Just wanted a gouge on what an interview might be like.

Thanks!

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
Thats all I'm going to say at this point.
Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not more? I'm hardly a threat...

Qs on your flying background. Expect logbook to be fine-toothed. Qs on CRM situations, types and tech info on planes you've flown, why you want the job. Wouldn't hurt to know some 135 specifics: duty times/duty day, max hours in day/mo/yr, requirements for different types of ops, etc.

If cargo, learning a little about HAZMAT wouldn't hurt, in regards to how to use an ERG2000 guide, what can be carried, placarding, paperwork, etc.

EatSleepFly

Thanks for the quick response, MikeD. Honestly, I don't know too much more than what I actually said, except for the name, location, and type of equipment.

I've already been studying some of the 135 regs. in my studying for the ATP written. Would it make a huge difference if I already had the written taken?

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]

I've already been studying some of the 135 regs. in my studying for the ATP written. Would it make a huge difference if I already had the written taken?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, it certainly wouldn't hurt. At my second 135 cargo gig, I had my ATP written already taken care of (didn't do it at my first 135 cargo gig since I didn't want the written to expire prior to me being able to get the hours); and the company hiring guy noticed that. Whether it made a difference or not, I don't know, but it was noticed.

EatSleepFly

I thought the written didn't expire as long as you were employed flying under Part 121/135? Or am I mistaken?

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the written didn't expire as long as you were employed flying under Part 121/135? Or am I mistaken?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the regs changed, I was under the impression it did.

Then again, I could've had it wrong all along!

ShortsDriver

My experience was basic HR questions, last aircraft flown tech. questions,
brief an approach, enroute chart tech. questions, and some basic 91 IFR stuff.
I think the point of 91 questions was to see the level of knowledge in order
to evaluate how easily I could adapt to 135.

Good luck.

Tired

If you've never flown 135 then it is unreasonable for them to ask 135 questions during the interview.

I would know 91 and the AIM, especially the stuff that pertains to IFR ops.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
If you've never flown 135 then it is unreasonable for them to ask 135 questions during the interview.

I would know 91 and the AIM, especially the stuff that pertains to IFR ops.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first company asked 135 when I interviewed with them 11 years ago. I think it was more to see what basic understanding level, or prep for the job, the candidate would walk in with. Questions weren't too detailed, though. I had perused the 135 section, and pulled some basics out of it, so it possibly gave a leg-up.

If I were the interviewer, though, it's not something I would've asked, for the same reason.