12 vs 15 Credit Hours.

swakid8

Hey Guys, how is it going? I will be starting my flight training/school this fall at SIU. I am deciding on if I should stick with 15 credit hours vs 12 credit hours. I am unsure what kind of load this will be with flying included during the week. I greatly appreciate any inputs.

Oskie305

Hey Guys, how is it going? I will be starting my flight training/school this fall at SIU. I am deciding on if I should stick with 15 credit hours vs 12 credit hours. I am unsure what kind of load this will be with flying included during the week. I greatly appreciate any inputs.
Can you list the names of the classes you will be taking for 12 credit hours, also list the name of the 5th class wanting to take

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
And that right there is partly why you have so many kids who take 5+ years to graduate and wind up heavily in debt. "Taking 15 credits and graduating on time is really gonna put a cramp in my partying man".

Stone Cold

And that right there is partly why you have so many kids who take 5+ years to graduate and wind up heavily in debt. "Taking 15 credits and graduating on time is really gonna put a cramp in my partying man".
I graduated in 4 years. I also took on average of 15 credits, but there were semesters I took 18 and others I took 12. It depended on classes and my schedule flying. I enjoyed college also, though and had extracurricular activities and had a good time while doing it. That is part of college is figuring out how to enjoy life while still having responsibilities.

Having said that, I did meet a few people in college on the 10 year plan. Go figure.

tlewis95

I drive planes
I did SIU in 3 years with a Geography minor doing 15-18 credits per semester and never taking summer classes. Those all day Saturday classes are rough but they only last a few weeks and are a great way to knock things out. While I didn't do my flight training there, I instructed and had 4 students per semester as well. Still managed honor roll and plenty of extra-curriculars so it can totally be done. If you are worried about graduating without any partying, stick around after you graduate for the best CFI job anyone could ever have and do your partying then!

tlewis95

I drive planes
I will add that if you are coming in fresh without any prior flying experience (201a) you will probably want to keep the first semester or two pretty light so that you can really focus on studying the many basics that you will need to know for the rest of your career. You will probably be out at the airport 4-5 days a week for your first two semesters and things move pretty fast.

swakid8

Yeah, I have 16 credit hours my first semester. I am actually working on my PPL this summer, so that will lower my workload some in the back end hopefully. My advisers are estimated that I can finish my degree in 2 1/2 years if I take 5 classes each semester and do some summer school work at SIU.

Sam1234

This is what I do. Plz contact with your school adviser before you do that. I want to graduate asap and do not mind to take more class in spring or summer. I placed full academic credits (max without paying extra) in normal semester, and registered all flight credits in summer and spring (cheaper). The flight credits are relative with your flight training, so I placed it summer time. The flight credits only helps you in the future for R-ATP rule only. Again, contact with your adviser before you do it. Every school has it own policy.

Max1594

I go to a large state school with a 141 program, but I can't speak specifically for SIU. But I've taken 16 hours every semester including flying lessons, while living in a fraternity house. Maybe I just like flying too much but it always seemed like I was really only taking closer to 12 hours. Once you adapt to your school and flight schedule it will be a piece of cake managing your time, plus there will be times when due to weather you don't end up flying, or you're doing a night flight so you're not flying during your typical time.

Again no clue how scheduling works at SIU, but I try and get most of my non-flying classes on the same schedule, ex mostly Tuesday/Thursday classes, and then would schedule all of my flying Monday/Wednesday/Friday or vice versa. This really opens up your schedule for flying, and its nice not to have to worry about getting to a class after a flight, and it will also make your schedule much more flexible for flight lessons.

Also, again no Idea how it works at SIU, but keep in mind that there will be times that you might have to miss your other classes in order to make it work, example missing class to take a written or to take a stage check.

Last edited:

Houston

There are so many variables that none of us can give you a definitive answer. It depends on how strong your academic skills are, what kind of courses you're taking, are you trying to hold down a part time job at the same time, are you going just two semesters a year or are you also doing the summer semester, and other financial considerations. Probably the person best qualified to answer your question is your counselor, although I can tell you from bad experience that they aren't always giving perfect advice. There may be other considerations you're not seeing such as how the courses fit together. It's conceivable that taking 12 instead of 15 will get you out of sync with the flow of things. If you're still in doubt, I'd go for the 12. It's better to bite off what you are sure you can chew than chance chocking.

swakid8

I go to a large state school with a 141 program, but I can't speak specifically for SIU. But I've taken 16 hours every semester including flying lessons, while living in a fraternity house. Maybe I just like flying too much but it always seemed like I was really only taking closer to 12 hours. Once you adapt to your school and flight schedule it will be a piece of cake managing your time, plus there will be times when due to weather you don't end up flying, or you're doing a night flight so you're not flying during your typical time.

Again no clue how scheduling works at SIU, but I try and get most of my non-flying classes on the same schedule, ex mostly Tuesday/Thursday classes, and then would schedule all of my flying Monday/Wednesday/Friday or vice versa. This really opens up your schedule for flying, and its nice not to have to worry about getting to a class after a flight, and it will also make your schedule much more flexible for flight lessons.

Also, again no Idea how it works at SIU, but keep in mind that there will be times that you might have to miss your other classes in order to make it work, example missing class to take a written or to take a stage check.
I appreciate the inputs guys, I am taking 16 credit hours for now and doing well. Having no class after I fly would be awesome if I could have pulled it off this semester. Next semester I will be able to.