1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Member Announcements' started by jetstar242, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Jordan93

Jordan93 Well-Known Member

Do you want to fly corporate or do the airlines? I'll be finishing up my first year at 9E in April and don't really have anything to complain about. I live in base, never sat reserve, 15-17 days off a month, travel benefits, etc. The idea of me having 5 hard days off a month would kind of suck.

cmhumphr likes this.
  2. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

I wish I had 5 days off a month.

3. A80TRACON

A80TRACON You come at the King, you better not miss

Retirement is wonderful, sorry to hear that things haven't changed since 2008. On average I worked over 750 hrs a year of OT from '08 until I left in 2015.

4. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

I'm already approaching 175 and it's only beginning of March =(

5. learhawkerbe400

learhawkerbe400 Well-Known Member

How much does the average controller make a year at your facility you think? I'm always curious.

6. Box hauler

Box hauler Well-Known Member

I don't know the operation at all but a few things would make me scratch my head. First would be that they want to make you pic on a large corporate jet asap and you have no turbine time and less than 2,500 hours? that just sounds very odd to me. Usually a great place to work would require much more experience.

flyinghedgehog likes this.
  7. A80TRACON

A80TRACON You come at the King, you better not miss

My last yr at A80 I made over 265k, but had one week of vacation and not a single two day weekend all yr while averaged 58hrs out of a max possible 60hrs a week for over 50 weeks.

Still could've stayed for another 6 years before mandatory retirement, however for my health and sanity I decided Iraq was a safer bet.

8. jetstar242

jetstar242 Well-Known Member

Well as far as being a PIC that will probably take 3-4 years anyway. All I know is that they want someone young that lives within 75 miles of KFRG, has goo attitude and etc. One of their captains used to be a test/demo pilot for Dassault, the other guy has close to 16k hours and tons of experience on -900 so maybe experience level was not a big factor for them, not sure.

9. learhawkerbe400

learhawkerbe400 Well-Known Member

Them wanting someone young is just code for they want someone who will accept low pay and crappy working conditions.

bimmerphile, Cessnaflyer and Luigi like this.
  10. jetstar242

Pay is pretty high and benefits are more than great. Working conditions not sure about, but I guess it compares to any other 135 with around 20hrs of flight a month for me. I'm thinking hiring a young energetic guy is a way to get someone in who could stay for more than a year or two, I mean isn't this what any company would want? I've been to Learjet interviews a few times this past fall @ KTEB where pay was 30k, Medevac and 2 year contract; I think those are the places to stay away from....no way I would ever accept a job like that lol Maybe I'm just too young and naïve, who knows...all I know the plane averages around 4-5 days in base, then off to a 3-6 day trip based on flight tracker so having 3 pilot crew would provide for an okay work/life balance in my opinion. But again, I may be wrong.

11. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

You lost me at salary. I'd go 121. Last month I pretty much doubled my pay from guarantee and still had 15 hard days off while only actually flying half of those days. I don't think you can make extra money on salary and 5 hard days off sounds horrible.

12. jetstar242

Would it still be considered a hard day off If you flew half of them? I mean 5 hard days off is hard but hey If I know the plane in on a trip to South America, I know I'm not flying for the next 4-5 days so I guess you could count these days as hard days off....obviously it may be of a short notice, I'm not a big planner when it comes to social events anyway and I do not have kids so it's not a big issue. Places at KTEB were giving 2 hard days off a month without soft days and a 2 year contract lol To be honest airlines are great but my only issue with airlines presently in my life situation is the bonus system. One of my biggest priorities due to family needs is to by my own place so going the airline route there is no way I can get any loan for at least 2-3 years if not more. This flying business is harder than I thought, why can't it be simple lol

13. Box hauler

Box hauler Well-Known Member

Ok that makes more sense.

14. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

Oh crap I worded that wrong. I meant to say that of the 15 days I "worked" I only flew half of them not counting the 15 hard days I had off. I was awarded 87 hours of flying with 17 days off. I then picked up 6 days of reserve and one 200% trip on my days off but I had 5 trips bought off me for IOE and one removed and pay protected last minute for an equipment swap . This left me with 15 hard days off not counting the last minute day off. Of the 15 days I "worked" (either flying or on call) I was on reserve for 6 and was never called, the one last minute swap was a day off and I actually flew 8 days. I finished the month with 52 hours block and 122 hours of credit for 13k pay as a year 2 FO. Yes, this is more of an extreme example of working the system but my main point is that if you want to make some extra cash for a month you could pick up a 200% or 150% trip at most regionals but I don't think you can make extra money when you're on salary with the job you're talking about.

The house puts a wrench in the equation because of the bonus. Have you tried calling a mortgage broker and explaining these bonuses are guaranteed and fixed over a certain number of years and you have guaranteed raises on top of that that will offset the reduced compensation when the bonuses end? Bonus and raises are usually performance driven and not guaranteed for almost all job/careers so this is a unique situation.

15. jetstar242

Ahhh that makes sense now.

Yes did try, however every single person I have spoken to requires at least 2 years of proof when it comes to bonuses. Unfortunately they want to see the numbers on W-2

16. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

For the love of all that is holy do not let being in a hurry to buy a house be the deciding factor in planning the beginning of your career.

ShortField and learhawkerbe400 like this.
  17. jetstar242

No don't get me wrong it is not a deciding factor, although it is big for me. I like the idea of being busy with planning, going to smaller airports, the islands and etc. Just wanted to get your opinion on the decision as you guys have encouraged me all throughout my interviews and career change. Each of us has different things in life that he or she needs to take care of or maintain besides aviation. With me its getting a small place (and I'm not looking for something huge as prices here in NJ are way too high, more like a small townhouse) but with regional route there is no way for at least few years and because of my fam. situation I can't wait that long, plus paying somebody rent; I've done it for years and can't do it anymore. I really don't care how much I fly. I can always use free time to study, get another degree, play music, find a hobby, or work a part time engineering job.... perhaps do some volunteering work. My gut feeling tells me that this gig will give me an opportunity to have a great flying job with flying to cool places, make good income, and have time for other things. Maybe if I get tired of commute I can look for something out of KTEB in few years, however I know NYC in and out as I lived there for nearly 12 years and work as a parking attendant for for different venues so I know my ways around traffic haha I really appreciate everyone's input, very helpful!

18. Kingairer

Kingairer Well-Known Member

Id go for the Falcon 900 job if you feel like your info on it is reliable. Maybe delay Endeavor as long as you can. If the job sucks after a year you can go to Endeavor or another regional. I'm not a corporate guy, but a Falcon 900 seems like a pretty legit, and maybe career airplane.

PositionAndHold and jetstar242 like this.
  19. jetstar242

That's what I think. If it was a bad place to work for then perhaps they would have required at least 2-3 year commitment as it is not one of the cheapest type ratings to get, plus CTP course....1 year is not that long. On top of it all the benefits and pay are pretty high so it seems like they want their people to stay, but who knows. Spoke to some local 135 and 91 pilots and most say that training contracts are not perfect, but I am a 25 year old so I can see why someone would require one even though I'm looking for a stable place to stay. No one I spoken to had anything good or bad to say about the company, but judging by the size of it said it would mostly be a typical 135 type ops with cool destinations and not much flight time which again, I am totally fine with.

20. cmhumphr

cmhumphr Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance but what the heck is a soft day off? Am I off or not?