1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Member Announcements' started by jetstar242, Mar 3, 2017.

1. jetstar242

jetstar242 Well-Known Member

Long story short. I have no idea how but I was offered a position to fly Falcon 900b for a good size 135 operator a week before my start at Endeavor. I have delayed my start and am now heavily considering this gig. The company pretty much offered 3rd year regional captains salary, 1 year commitment as I do not have type rating, atp, or any turbine time, and they are fully paying for family medical/dental and etc. After speaking to The director of ops, it seems like they would want me to move to a PIC spot asap. The captains I met with were very laid back and seemed to be as cool guys to fly and hang out with. most of the flights are scheduled in advance and they said I should expect tobe away from home 9-12 days a month.What would you do?

2. tbstanto

tbstanto Well-Known Member

Sounds too good to be true. Is it?

3. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

How easy will your commute to NYC or ATL be? That will be a big determining factor.

4. jetstar242

They're a good size operator with 17 planes ranging from Gulfstreams to Hawkers and Falcons. They did mention that they would prefer someone with 2500 hr total but since the crew liked me they decided to give me an offer. Everyone from chief pilot to director of ops and the crew were great. I'm lost here.

5. jetstar242

I live in NJ about 1 hour and 15 mins away from Falcon job base and around 40 mins away from KLGA/KJFK. I don't mind the drive. This Falcon gig will however make my transition from engineering field to aviation easier fanincially .

6. bimmerphile

bimmerphile Open-Air Member

Where are they, TEB, ABE? What is the schedule like? (i.e, are you making regional PIC money at the cost of no time off)

7. jetstar242

Based at KFRG and 3 people for this aircraft. Airplane will be flying around 25-30 hrs a month and 9-12 days a month away from home. Speaking to the captains, the company tries to have you home for major holidays by airlining you back if you're stuck somewhere which is nice.

8. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

It honestly sounds too good to be true from an outsider's perspective. 121 flying is literally the easiest job in the world. Show up, take plane and pax from A to B, go to hotel, repeat. If you've found the 135 lottery ticket then congrats, but I would try to find someone's opinion who is outside the operation and knows the operation. If you want to fly 121 as a career seniority is everything, so start as soon as you're able to make the job.

9. jetstar242

Yeah I tried but its really hard to find someone who's on the inside. Its seems like a stable company who has been around for quite a few years with offices in CA, FL, NY and NJ. They've send me an offer letter spoke about my availability to get CTP and type courses started. Training promissory note is legit pretty much says that the only way I will be responsible for paying back is if I leave before 1 year elapses or If I screw up by say coming in drunk....all other scenarios such as airplane being sold and etc. is not against me and I won't be held responsible. Aghhhh this is hard. With this gig I can afford things such as applying for a mortgage and etc, with regionals there is no way for at least 2.5-3 years as bonuses don't mean anything to the banks unless you show 2 consecutive years of receiving them and etc.

10. bimmerphile

The hours the airplane flies and the days away from home don't mean anything. How much time will you owe the company in a month? Are you going to be dealing with this BS 24/7 on call nonsense? How many hard days off do you get?
    Don't you live in NJ? Farmingdale is not a good drive if you're going to be on call, unless you were planning on moving to LI and buying a house next door to the likes of @NovemberEcho

11. jetstar242

5 hard days off and 5 soft and 99% of the trips are scheduled in advance. They also ha a FA for this plane and cleaning person. I will have to be on call on some days but they wont expect me to be at the airport in 2 hrs lol the one captains lives in NJ as well, 15 mins further from FRG than i am.

12. bimmerphile

nopenopenope
    what is a soft day, can you drink a beer?
    technically speaking, 100% of trips are scheduled in advance

PM me with who it is, maybe I can help find someone that knows of them

13. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

we don't want your kind here

bimmerphile likes this.
  14. mooneyguy

mooneyguy been around forever

the regionals will always be there, if this place is a good place to work (assuming you've looked into them) it sounds like a great opportunity.
    again assuming you've checked them out.

Cessnaflyer likes this.
  15. Cessnaflyer

Cessnaflyer Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Going to echo the same thing. I left a baby 121 to go back to 91 flying knowing that if I have to regional 121 flying will always be waiting for me. Try it for the contract and if it doesn't work out it was only a year.

16. jetstar242

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. As far as checking them out, I haven't heard or found anything bad on them online so my only exposure was with DOP, Captains, and HR. They seem like very cool people to work and hang out with. I think this opportunity will also allow me with more time to work on things such as online masters.

Cessnaflyer likes this.
  17. Cessnaflyer

Cessnaflyer Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Also, being a larger business jet it would make the jump over the regionals much easier.

18. bimmerphile

Ftfy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

19. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

I live 10 min from FRG and grew up in nw Jersey. That is a terrible, terrible drive and $30 round trip just in tolls. Although they're supposedly putting in boothless high speed tolls on all the bridges starting this year (finally) which should helpfully cut down the traffic.

20. modernicarus

modernicarus Well-Known Member

Build a wall to keep the deplorables out.
    :biggrin: