1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest! Early registration available for NetworkJC 2014 ends July 31st!
    SAVE SOME LOOT
    October 22, 2014 at The Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Eventbrite - NetworkJC 2014, presented by Jetcareers.com

What do you do if you lose your logbook?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by MCP, Aug 14, 2005.

1. MCP

MCP Well-Known Member

I lost my logbook quite a while ago during the course of 3 moves. I remembered that my flight school said thye would hold onto it for me for as long as they were in business so I gave them a call (albeit about 1.5 years later) and they had absolutely no idea where it was. They said they would look for it and call me back if they found it or didn't find it. They never called me so I called them and they had no idea what I was talking about.

*sigh*

I didn't have any ratings yet and was still taking lessons (although I did solo) so it isn't of major importance, however, hours are hours and if/when I start my training back up it would be nice to have the hours at least so I can add them into my total time. So, what can I do now if anything? Are there any official FAA records anywhere that I can take a look at or am I basically SOL?

Thx!
  2. mtsu_av8er

mtsu_av8er Well-Known Member

If you can contact your flight instructor(s), (s)he should be able to help you rebuild your logbook entries.

That's if (s)he kept an accurate logbook.
  3. MCP

MCP Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you can contact your flight instructor(s), (s)he should be able to help you rebuild your logbook entries.

That's if (s)he kept an accurate logbook.

[/ QUOTE ]

My past instructors are long gone and I have no idea how to contact them. I don't even remember most of their names.

So I am pretty much screwed, huh?

Crap.
  4. mtsu_av8er

mtsu_av8er Well-Known Member

You mean he's dead? Or on The Moon?

He's out there somewhere!!!
  5. GatorFC

GatorFC Well-Known Member

Since you didn't have any ratings yet, I don't think that the FAA would have any official records of your flight time ala 8710 form or maybe medical application. Do you have any invoices for those hours from the flight school? That could be one way to reconstruct your logbook.
  6. MCP

MCP Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Since you didn't have any ratings yet, I don't think that the FAA would have any official records of your flight time ala 8710 form or maybe medical application. Do you have any invoices for those hours from the flight school? That could be one way to reconstruct your logbook.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I may have those around here somewhere. I usually keep all my receipts, etc..

I payed by the hour just in case I ever lost my logbook. lol

Now I just need to find the receipts. doh!
  7. Derg

Derg Major Domo Staff Member

(a) Talk to your former flight instructors
    (b) Contact your former flight schools
    (c) Look at your past 8710 forms for hte flight time matrix
    (d) Contact your AME for your past applications for the flight time matrix
    (e) Keep your logbook at home in a fireproof safe if you're post-private -- no reason in the world why a post-private pilot needs to carry a logbook.
  8. MCP

MCP Well-Known Member

Thx for the help everybody.

I'm gonna try and find those receipts, they should be around here somewhere.

[​IMG]