1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest! Early registration available for NetworkJC 2014 ends July 31st!
    SAVE SOME LOOT
    October 22, 2014 at The Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Eventbrite - NetworkJC 2014, presented by Jetcareers.com

UND car thread!!!!! Jace-the-ace, Angelfuree, Txaviator! Get in here!

Discussion in 'University of North Dakota' started by UAL747400, Dec 26, 2011.

1. UAL747400

UAL747400 Well-Known Member

Well, you definitely need a car hear to go out at three in the morning to mess around on the streets they never plow! :D
  2. ProudPilot

ProudPilot Aeronautics Geek

Whoops, to add to my post, should be 2003 corolla, somehow I missed that. So a little inline 4 cyl can pull a truck with snow tires. If you buy in the spring or early summer, I've gotten snow tires for as little as $18.75 each when on clearance. The Firestone Winterforce are just nasty.
  3. UAL747400

Yeah, I got a set of wheels and tires for $650. If steelies would fit, it would have only been 420ish. Considering people already spend in that ball park on insurance, and how much of a PAIN IN THE ASS car accidents are, I can't believe more people don't. It doesn't matter about the acceleration traction, infact not being able to get going is probably the safest thing. haha But it is a night and day difference in stopping and turning ability. Something most idiots on the road don't seem to understand. "HEHEH, stupid sports car can't get going in the snow" followed by "OMG, I can't stop because I'm a moron and bought an enormously large vehicle for no reason and it's fitted with the wrong tires for this!". Ok maybe they don't say that, but that's what's going on in most traffic accidents in the winter time.
  4. thevideographer

thevideographer Well-Known Member

Does anybody use chains? I wanted some snow tires but I only have room for one set, so I compromised with some Michelin Weatherwise IIs from Sears. I doubt they will help, my car is horrible in the snow.
  5. UAL747400

I don't think they're legal. Studs aren't either if I recall right. My tires are studdable and there was a reason I didn't. That could have been it. That or I didn't want the ish scared out of me when they fly out occasionally. haha
  6. UAL747400

This is how far all-seasons got me on this day. LOLOL 20 feet down the driveway!
    [​IMG]
    Snow mode
    [​IMG]
  7. JaceTheAce

JaceTheAce Well-Known Member

I had Dunlop Graspik studless snow tires on my Civic and they were great. I mounted them on smaller and narrower 14" black steelies, just like all the rice racers use. :D
  8. ASpilot2be

ASpilot2be 207 driver

I still cant believe people pay for winter tires!:ooh::)
  9. z987k

z987k Other Barry.

You must not know anything about chains. The only time you can use them is if there's a considerable snowpack on the road, and then you're limited to about 30-35mph. Much outside those two important things and you'll have chains tearing the quarter panels of your car off as they come apart.

Here in OR, where the drivers and people have to be some of the stupidest on the planet, you'll see em chain up 20 miles before the snow starts going up the mountain, and then wonder why the quarter panels are gone and axle is torn off by the time they get to the snow.
  10. UAL747400

You ever tried them? They are an absolute night and day difference. Stopping and turning is FAR more important than getting going. Something all seasons lack in SEVERLY. AWD does NOT help you turn or stop. Stability control will never outsmart physics. He who has the snow tires will most likely never get into an accident in the winter time. Black ice is far less of an issue as well. One, the tires grip better, and two, if you do slide the compound is soft enough to be more forgiving if you hit dry pavement while still going sideways.

I will say that snow tires are almost more dangerous because no one else is using them. Especially on the interstate. I can stop easily 100 feet or more shorter than everyone else and that can get sketchy.

I am very out spoken and maybe a complete lunatic about this, but I've seen how much better they are. I've been quoted while drunk "why don't you get snow tires???? YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!!" LOL But, I can't believe people DON'T buy snow tires. Cheapest extra insurance ever.
  11. Blip16

Blip16 Well-Known Member

While i agree, i plan toj ust get some really good all seasons for this winter with my new car, continental dws are supposed to be as close to snow tires without getting dedicated snow tires. My problem with snow tires is that after it snows, a few days later the roads are mostly dry again so now you are running tires that are not needed for the conditions. the dws are the only all seasons to have an actual snow rating

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
  12. deadpixel

deadpixel Well-Known Member

Anytime portland metro area gets snow the city shuts down and everyone freaks out haha.
  13. z987k

z987k Other Barry.

And everyone runs out and gets studded tires for 1 day a year of snow and they put chains on the buses. Then they wonder why the streets are some of the worst in the country.
  14. deadpixel

Maybe everyone will start riding bikes with all those bike lanes :p
  15. z987k

z987k Other Barry.

Oh don't get me started on those idiots. They think the rules of the road don't apply because they're on a bike. Red light? NO! STOP FOR ME!
    They don't realize I'm not a PDX native and I WILL run their ass over if they've got a red.
    UAL747400 likes this.
  16. deadpixel

In case you haven't seen this you'll hopefully get a chuckle
  17. UAL747400

There's lots of things that are legal in this world where people lack so much discretion and "common sense". I can legally take a moped on the interstate. Should I? LOLOLOLOLOL
  18. ASpilot2be

ASpilot2be 207 driver

I have never driven a car with winter tires and I have been driving here in Alaska for almost 8 years. For our Subaru we invested in a great set of all-season tires. They have worked out amazing. I have driven it through two feet of snow and not had a problem. For my Jeep I run BFGoodrich all-terrains which are the best tire I have ever owned. They can be interesting on ice, but if you take it easy you will be fine.

I am sure winter tires are great, but I have never seen the need to buy a whole new set of tires just for winter.
  19. UAL747400

Well, I guess I can agree with that. No one needs snow tires. Until that day that they do. :D

We can go back and forth all day. haha
  20. ASpilot2be

ASpilot2be 207 driver

Haha! We certainly could.

I will say a lot of it depends on the climate. ND might get a lot more ice than we do here. For us it is a lot of snow, and some rain mixed in. Studs, and the soft rubber doesnt make much of a difference in the snow. Especially deep snow. :)