1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uhhh wut? "Turkish Airlines' High-Tech De-Icing Method"

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Mike Wise, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Mike Wise

Mike Wise #NewSchool

jskibo likes this.
  2. bucksmith

bucksmith Did you lock the doors?

tlewis95 and Boris Badenov like this.
  3. deadstick

deadstick Well-Known Member

Hot type 1 and a mop.

4. ///AMG

///AMG Well-Known Member

Jet exhaust works too for a stubbornly icy canopy/windscreen. Isn't really effective on the tops of the wings though

5. deadstick

deadstick Well-Known Member

35 years ago this Friday...Air Florida 90.

azmedic and Boris Badenov like this.
  6. coks

coks Well-Known Member

Looks like one of those water jugs from the break room. "Passengers won't know the difference"

7. ///AMG

///AMG Well-Known Member

Funny, I distinctly remember reading a Readers Digest article written a few years later about that crash as a kid. Every time I have flown out of National, it has crossed my mind for some weird reason.

8. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu My friend Martin said...

Finally! A chance to tell a story from my regional days!

So I met this girl (thanks Jetcareers) and couldn't wait for my parents to meet her. The plan was to non rev from LIT-ATL-BWI where we'd meet my parents. Shuttle America flight was full to ATL. Wife to be ends up getting the last seat in the back and I ride up from tin the jumpseat. A cool fall morning and overhang is going well. A light layer of frost covers everything, but that's nothing to stop a professional operation...

...unfortunately we were flying Delta connection out of Little Rock. Turns out the deicing truck was stuck in park, thus rendering it inoperative. Resulting is one of those situations where plan A is out the window and unfortunately plan B and C end up being even worse.

So plan B was to just hang out on the plane and wait for the sun to melt the frost off the plane. Not a terrible plan, though it would certainly take a while. Shortly after sunrise the temperature was supposed to get above freezing.

So while all three of us were hanging out up front, very slowly executing plan B we heard a call come over operations freq.

"Mercury XXXX, this is Flagship XXXX."

Shuttle America crew ignored it.

"Mercury XXXX, this is Flagship XXXX."

Finally curious, they answered "Flagship XXXX, this is Mercury XXXX, go ahead."

"So...bro...like...we're a high engined jet, and you're a high winged jet. You're a low engined jet and we're a low winged jet...so like...we could probably melt the ice off you guys, and then you could melt the ice off you."

Mercury crew: "hahaha"

*minutes pass*

Flagship crew: "So bro...what do you think?"

Mercury crew: "There is no way we are ok with that."

We both end up waiting for the sun to bake the frost off both aircraft and then we end up setting off for ATL at the same time. We were both HOURS late, but we both made it.

9. thevideographer

thevideographer Well-Known Member

Woulda worked though, I don't see the problem.

azmedic, gotWXdagain and Mike Wise like this.
  10. ///AMG

///AMG Well-Known Member

haha nice

Mike Wise likes this.
  11. JordanD

JordanD Sizeable Member

Worked for Air Florida!

For about a half a mile.

12. Adler

Adler How much cheese is too much cheese?

...it's freight....

IMG_3936.JPG

13. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov He comes to save the day in a broken truck

At Rough Rider they gave us a garden sprayer and what was supposedly type 1. I'd be lying if I said it didn't work on a Mitsi...everything right there where you can see it.

Years later they handed the same thing out at Omniflight for the PC-12 and it was pointed out (possibly even by YrsTrly) that we'd also uh you know maybe need a ladder for the tail. Don't think they ever figured out where to put the ladder.

14. Screaming_Emu

Unrelated, but man things have changed since you taxi'ed your Beech past my RJ in ATL 9ish years ago.

inigo88 and Boris Badenov like this.
  15. Boris Badenov

And almost entirely for the better. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Screaming_Emu likes this.
  16. thevideographer

thevideographer Well-Known Member

But they were in active snow. If your wings are clean your wings are clean, I don't see how it makes a difference if you wait 3 hours for the sun to melt it off or blow it off with hot exhaust.

17. Boris Badenov

I'm not a 121 guy, so I stand open to correction, but I've a notion that they aren't permitted to do the ole "5 minute visual inspection" in their opspecs.

18. Boris Badenov

In fairness, if they'd turned on the engine probe heaters, they'd almost certainly have been just fine. Well, I mean other than being employed at Air Florida...

CFI A&P and inigo88 like this.
  19. Screaming_Emu

For me the risk wasn't that it wouldn't be effective but rather the fact that two RJs doing 360's on the ramp would be a collision risk. At the very least, imagine how that would look to the passengers. "Ladies and gentlemen...we have frost on our wings so we're going to have the jet next to us melt it off our wings and then we're going to melt it off theirs." I was sitting in the cockpit when this was being discussed and I thought it seemed unprofessional, imagine what it sounded like from the back! (I'll give you a hint...this wasn't even discussed with the PAX in the back and we still had paying passengers that got off the flight).

20. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

Pet peeve: that crash had nothing to do with ice on the wings. Had they used radar
    power or even set power with reference to N1 or EGT the airplane would have flown. What killed them was trying to take off with reduced thrust because the EPR probes were iced up from the power back, a situation that deicing from the truck wouldn't have fixed (unless it was common practice at the time to shoot deice fluid into the inlet which I highly doubt).