1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tailwheel endorsement

Discussion in 'CFI Corner' started by empire, Mar 26, 2011.

1. empire

empire Well-Known Member

If a student is signed off to solo in a tailwheel aircraft, and then takes/passes his checkride in a nosewheel aircraft, does he need an additional tailwheel endorsement to fly tailwheel with his private pilot license? I'm assuming not, but wondering if anyone has experience with this.
  2. Roger, Roger

Roger, Roger Guest

Did he get a tailwheel endorsement when you soloed him in the taildragger? If so, I would think he's good to go. If not, he should have.
  3. mshunter

mshunter Well-Known Member

Once endorsed, always endorsed unless the endorsement has an expiration(for whatever reason that may be).
  4. nosehair

nosehair Well-Known Member

Depends on the endorsement.
    The 61.87(n)(1)&(2) solo endorsements are aircraft specific, and the 61.31 tailwheel endorsement requires wheel landings which the 61.87 solo does not, so the wording and logged training would need to reflect both those aspects. Best to just make the two separate endorsements, since that may be an actual difference.
    Are you endorsing "private pilot operations" in all tailwheel aircraft when you authorize a student to solo in one?
  5. empire

empire Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not my student, yet, so I'm not sure what type of endorsements have been given. I'll find out more when the time comes.
  6. Roger, Roger

Roger, Roger Guest

You got it.
  7. crfguy51

crfguy51 Well-Known Member

Isn't a student pilot exempt from the actual tailwheel endorsement? Like you wouldn't have to endorse them tailwheel proficient until the check ride?
  8. escapepilot

escapepilot Well-Known Member

I had an instructor chastise me for giving a tailwheel endorsement to a student. I asked a few DEs about it and the consensus was that in order to act as PIC (and solo) in a tailwheel aircraft, the student would have to have the 61.31 (i) tailwheel endorsement. One DE said he would not do a checkride in a tailwheel aircraft unless the canidate had the endorsement. Note that the 61.31 (i) endorsement only states that no person may act as PIC of a tailwheel aircraft without it. It does not grant any other privildges.
  9. Mike H

Mike H Well-Known Member

Personally, I would do the solo endorsement for the specific airplane, and also do a tailwheel endorsement separately. Also, the OP mentioned that the student took & passed the checkride in a nosewheel airplane, he's also going to need a specific endorsement for that airplane as well.
  10. Roger, Roger

Roger, Roger Guest

I don't see that anywhere in the regulation. 61.31(i) is pretty clear:
    I suppose that it's possible there is a LOI out there addressing this, but unless someone could show me it I'd say that the student pilot does indeed need the Tailwheel endorsement prior to solo.
  11. mshunter

Ask that instructor how well thats going to go over when said student ground loops a Citabria at a towered airport and takes out some of the airport lighting(just enough to get the feds involved). I haven't been doing this flying thing for a very long time. But I like to think I know may ass from a hole in the ground.
  12. mshunter

Don't you hate it when people make you become a regulation Nazi.................