1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by Derg, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Dugie8

Dugie8 Well-Known Member

Jesus. I've been pounding that drum for YEARS. Only to be told that I was an idiot.

If you want to hire people who can problem solve and cater to the pax, hire 135/91 folks, if all you care about is "ease of training" then hire 121 folks.

Or, you know, hire the folks that have done both.

:creepy wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beep and Derg like this.
  2. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu My friend Martin said...

I actually like having a mix of people from varied backgrounds. Each brings strengths and weaknesses. Mesh all those people together and in theory the organization will be stronger...provided you hire people with open minds.

Beep and Derg like this.
  3. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Length of time in the system can be a metric, but not a sole or strong determinate of who gets a call. Basically, you'd have people attempting to apply far before they're qualified in order to "get in line" and you're going to bias against military, career changers and well, people who actually wait until they're close to meeting qualifications.

It's not age, it's not hours, it's not number of type ratings. You want someone who embraces the corporate culture fully, eager to learn and implement and not try to make his new job a better paying version of the hole he left.

Toobdrvr likes this.
  4. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

In the depths of the mass despair that was 2008-2012ish I seemed to recall reading a lot of regional guys who felt that given their compensation and treatment they were entitled to let the operation burn to the ground rather than do something like grab a wheelchair. I wonder how many of those guys have applications in at SouthernJets?

bimmerphile likes this.
  5. Dugie8

Dugie8 Well-Known Member

If a company has a specific set of values and skills they want from prospective employees, publish those. Make part of the application a way to establish you meet those metrics.

The kicker, those metrics need to be something relatively concrete. If you want folks who volunteer but only recognize certain types of volunteering, i.e. Soup kitchens, shelters, etc then say that. So what if that gets people to volunteer out of self interest. If 1 person out of 100 finds some purpose in that act of volunteering that is a win win.

The problem isn't the process or the application, it's the constant moving goal post or seemingly moving goal post. What one person sees as a step up in their career progress may be looked upon as a negative by the process. Since the process is hush hush, you don't know if you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Just like any relationship, be open and honest about your wants and desires, don't play games.

Let me post preface all of this with; my ship has sailed. I made the mistake of turning down JetBlue 3 years ago. By mistake I mean I had my way into the "big leagues" and I turned it down to forgo an east coast commute from MN. I've had a good job for the past 3 years and hopefully a few irons in the fire here are going to forge into my retirement gig here shortly.

I do see the frustration my close friends, whom are trying to move on and up, are experiencing. It's heartbreaking to watch genuinely good folks getting passed over for mysterious reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

killbilly likes this.
  6. Derg

Toobdrvr, MikeFavinger and Finny like this.
  7. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

Awesome! That's a great resource to use while tailoring experience towards a specific goal!

I have a question for attending these fairs. Is it worth while to attend if you haven't quite met the minimums or would that be a waste of time? I'd love feedback on the things I'm doing right now at my airline and in my community while I finish my degree, but do not want to be seen as wasting a recruiter's time since I will not yet meet the hiring minimums at said global air line. Would it best to continue to knock out the degree, then attend any job fairs after that?

8. Derg

Wouldn't be worthwhile before you meet the qualifications, at least for my friends airline.

9. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

Thx.

10. MikeFavinger

MikeFavinger Well-Known Member

bimmerphile and Derg like this.
  11. Cherokee_Cruiser

Cherokee_Cruiser Well-Known Member

I agree, but again it can be used as a quantifying measure to restrict the number of applicants. The current system of ATP mins gets everyone and their mother to apply. That's a good start to start chipping away at the 10,000-15,000 applications on file. And anyone who applies without meeting the mins should get an instant rejection auto reply.

Do you think I ever applied to Southwest? Nope. Not that I have a problem with SWA or the 737. It's because I know I don't have 1,000 TPIC and they require it.

12. Derg

The four year degree from an accredited university filters out tons, but there is still a vast majority of people in the system that have them.

The challenge today isn't as much wittling the numbers down, it's changing the conventional wisdom that "Welp, there's a shortage, I have tons flight time, why haven't you called?" approach that far too many applicants have.

Screaming_Emu likes this.
  13. grkero

grkero fer yer health

It seems that specific conventional wisdom is gone these days, though. The new strategy is get involved in your company and your community, be honest, and network. People do that, THEN say "why haven't you called? The selection process is an impressive mystery."*

*This is not me, just a "friend" told me.

Derg likes this.
  14. GypsyPilot

GypsyPilot Well-Known Member

One thing I've been wondering lately... What constitutes an institution being "an accredited university"?

I went to a very small but prestigious engineering school that most airline recruiters have likely never heard of. It's not "State U", and it's not an aviation school. Quite frankly I'm somewhat concerned that they may think it's some version of ITT Tech. I even had to email the people at Pilot Credentials awhile back to get it added to their list.

Am I just being paranoid?

15. bimmerphile

bimmerphile Open-Air Member

the one in NJ? If so, that's awesome
    and I could understand the concern with the name

16. Aero Crew Solutions

Aero Crew Solutions Well-Known Member

You can also email Airline Apps and ask them the same question. They are good about getting back to you within a couple of days.

GypsyPilot likes this.
  17. Aero Crew Solutions

Aero Crew Solutions Well-Known Member

Don't forget to read "The Way We Fly" and the 2017 Flight Plan.

One thing I talked about at the Endeavor ALPA prep seminars was to read the company intranet site. So many pilots would login into DeltaNet to go to TravelNet to book a flight home. Pilots never read the home page news site. There is a ton of UP TO DATE info about what is going on at the company.

18. launchpad

launchpad Well-Known Member

The need to point that out shouldn't exist....

19. Dphoenix

Dphoenix Love lasagna, hate mondays

While you're there, watch Ed Bastian's velvet talk about the ME carriers. If you weren't already passionate about it.. get passionate. It's a great video.

20. RORO

RORO Well-Known Member