1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest! Follow new job postings on Twitter and Facebook

3. Guest! Early registration available for NetworkJC 2014 ends July 31st!
    SAVE SOME LOOT
    October 22, 2014 at The Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Eventbrite - NetworkJC 2014, presented by Jetcareers.com

SkyWest Hiring FOs

Discussion in 'Jobs Available' started by DenverPilot8, Nov 25, 2010.

1. DHC6

DHC6 Well-Known Member

I used to hate when people would tell me this, and I still do. Honestly, I don't think that is enough time. When I interviewed in Oct we all had over 1500 hours and plenty of multi time, with 135/121 experience. One of the guys was a CFI but he didn't make it. There are even guys on here saying they got the rejection letter at 2500 hours!

Also from the previous posts, I think that they have put a hold on the interviewing for a few months. I think you are better served saving your money and continuing flying to make the hours.

I forgot to say this earlier but if you (meaning all people on here) want a job with this company and have the time don't rely on AirlineApps alone. I honestly don't think they even go to AirlineApps at all to pick people to interview. Go to a hiring event! Talk to the recruiters there. You need to make yourself seen, and make a good presentation. I guarantee it will work for you if you have the time, have a good personality, and do something to standout from the other 50 people there submitting resumes. It worked for me.
  2. WestIndian425

WestIndian425 Well-Known Member

My route was a career fair, and I was picked up quickly. I agree with what DHC6 said.
  3. Retired in SAN

Retired in SAN Non-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a better time to return a call to Brandi regarding an interview date? I've tried several times as well as sent emails but haven't heard back. I can imagine they are swamped with calls.
    Thank you
  4. Hootie

Hootie Old Skool

LOL. I feel your pain man. I can't get anybody in the hiring department to even return my emails asking if we are hiring, or to find the status of a guy I recommended.....and I work there.
  5. Retired in SAN

If it's any consolation, this is going on with three different airlines. It would be ideal if I didn't have to work and could sit by the phone but I do return the calls just as soon as I get down. And have continued to call and email.
    Persistence is key.

Thanks for the reply.
  6. AA34

AA34 Well-Known Member

How does SkyWest decide who goes to the Emb and who goes to the CRJ when going through the hiring process?
  7. bike21

bike21 Well-Known Member

It usually seems more based on current need than anything else. I know folks with all sorts of backgrounds who started in each. When we are running concurrent classes, previous 121 or turbine time does weigh in. How much though I couldn't guess.

I was a CFI (way above mins) who was initially offered the Bro then they literally called back 10 minutes later and threw me in the RJ. I didn't care either way as I simply needed a job. I regrettably don't have an ounce of turboprop time in my logbook. One day I shall though.
  8. turbomax97

turbomax97 Well-Known Member

The hiring is still continuing.... not staggering numbers but at least a class of approximately 20 a month. It looks like a chunk of each class are guys that are from Pinnacle/Colgan.

I do know that the hr side that works on scheduling interviews is extremely busy... I've been trying to get in touch with Brandi/Camielle for a few weeks now to get a recommendation in.
  9. Retired in SAN

I actually had a call on the machine when I got home to again schedule an interview. Glad to see they have a sense of humor:) I do believe we will one day set the date:.
  10. squeezemylemon

squeezemylemon Well-Known Member

I haven't flown for 3years,do i have a chance.only embraer.
  11. Retired in SAN

I'm stoked, have an interview 6/13. Anyone else scheduled the same day?
  12. mikeypat15

mikeypat15 Well-Known Member

Anyone know how long it realistically takes for them to get back to you after you interview. Interviewed last week and still heard nothing. They say 24-72 hours after you should know. I understand they are busy, anyone have any advice?
  13. Retired in SAN

So, how did it go?
  14. GypsyPilot

GypsyPilot Well-Known Member

Last time we talked, you said you were too good to fly a T-prop. Still feel the same?
    SDpilot likes this.
  15. squeezemylemon

squeezemylemon Well-Known Member

still the same. emb jet only! :) or light turboprop.
  16. z987k

z987k Other Barry.

Well skywest doesn't fly an Emb jet so.................
  17. GypsyPilot

GypsyPilot Well-Known Member

Cool, I'll make sure to give the interview team here a heads up about your demands.
    Feathered_Prop likes this.
  18. Retired in SAN

Have an interview next month. Want to give the interview team a heads up that I'll push a broom to get in?
    (Humor)

Safe flights!
    DPApilot likes this.
  19. Retired in SAN

I'm sure these questions have been asked a thousand times, for a new FO on reserve what is a fair average one would expect to be on overnight trips each week? Also, where can one we based when just starting out? On reserve, how long do you have to report for work from getting called in. One more? If you are staying at a crash pad for your stanby time. What can be expected to pay to do so. How long can one epect to be based in LA? Just trying to learn more about life as an airline pilot.

thanks much for any info
  20. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

All excellent questions that I'd love to see more experienced people answer. I just finished IOE last week and am going to start reserve this week.

I can tell you that the whole class before me got MSP as their base. My whole class got SLC. On normal reserve you have 2 hours from the time they call you to the time you must be at the plane. No idea on reserve trips - may depend on how busy it is. I'm hoping June will keep me out of base. Crashpads seem to be a hit or miss option with transportation being a big thing. Costs totally depend on where you're based. SLC looks like $300-400 for a room. Haven't seen any options allowing shared rooms or less than 6 months lease. Still looking. Cheap hotels often offer shuttles which may be cheaper in the long run then getting an airport car with insurance, etc. Knowing how long before you can transfer to a base seems to be Voo Doo. It may be a month, it may be 2-3 years. Don't bet on it and hope to be pleasantly surprised when you get it.

I'm also interested in other's takes on these questions.