1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shots Fired @ FLL

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by A Life Aloft, Jan 6, 2017.

1. A Life Aloft

A Life Aloft Well-Known Member

Reports of gun fire, saying nine people shot and one perhaps dead around terminals 2 (DAL) and 3 at FLL, around the baggage claim area. Not of much in the way of certain details at this point. Someone supposedly in custody? Who knows......just too soon for accurate details. Damn. I hope everyone will be okay and that no innocent person died.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. A Life Aloft

I hope this poor man will be okay and survive.

[​IMG]

Small update: Broward County Sheriff reporting three dead, one person in custody, several other people wounded. PAX being moved back inside the airport. How horrible.

3. GypsyPilot

GypsyPilot Well-Known Member

Broward FD scanner reporting 5 dead now.

4. Murdoughnut

Murdoughnut Well sized member

We had an evac on Sunday due to a false alarm with TSA - pictures of folks on the ramp eerily familiar. Hoping for the best, but this is kinda what we do in America now, sadly.

5. ChasenSFO

ChasenSFO hen teaser

Damn it. How many innocent people need to die at the hand of someone who can't properly vent their emotions? Not that I advocate suicide at all, but when did people decide that killing themselves wasn't good enough unless they ruined the lives of strangers in the process?

Der rote Baron, azmedic and Derg like this.
  6. JordanD

JordanD Sizeable Member

Well, last I saw the shooter was in custody so I'm not going with that whole narrative but we'll see. The facts will come out.

7. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Mental illness and narcissism.

Life sucks? Seek help or go jump off a bridge.

8. Murdoughnut

I'm sure all the #thoughtsandprayers floating across my Twitter feed should fix it.

Acrofox, M20B_pilot, CFI A&P and 11 others like this.
  9. Murdoughnut

People with a cause often aren't looking to kill themselves - they're just willing to die.

killbilly likes this.
  10. A Life Aloft

When people are concerned, upset, sad and are isolated from a dramatic negative event, and feel helpless, yet wish they could do something, that's all they can offer as a recourse. It's all that caring people can do from afar at the moment. It's not a bad thing, really. People simply don't know what else to offer at the moment, but they do care.

tcco94, Shiftace and Champcar like this.
  11. AAPalmTree

AAPalmTree Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about the pax that just sat down next to me bitching that this better not complicate him getting home to FLL. "This sucks. Last thing I needed today."

A Life Aloft, bimmerphile and azmedic like this.
  12. ChasenSFO

ChasenSFO hen teaser

If this guy turns out to be connected with ISIS, sure, but I wouldn't call wanting to kill people at random a "cause" if it turns out to be an unaffiliated wacko.

From speaking to jetBlue who just de-boarded an SFO-FLL flight, some pax reactions there are the same...what a world we live in.

13. A Life Aloft

Watching a news source with a man on the phone whose flight had just arrived, he was at the baggage claim waiting for his bags and witnessed the shooter. His description was pretty awful. He states that using a handgun, the man just started shooting at everyone. It seemed very random. He emptied his weapon and reloaded and continued shooting. He shot some pax directly in the head. Everyone was either on the ground or running.

While on the phone just now, LEOs ran in and told everyone to get down on the ground as something was happening now in a garage. So he and his family are now trapped at baggage claim. He says Officers are around them with guns drawn and telling everyone not to move and to stay down.

Outside video feed of airport shows Police and Sheriffs running toward terminal 1 and 2, some canines deployed also. LEOs also rounding people up outside and guiding them to behind tugs, vehicles, containers, buildings, whatever they can find for cover. Pax that had been brought back into the terminals are now streaming out of them again onto the asphalt. Reports of shots in terminal 2 garage and SWAT officers on scene with ATF. Terminal 1 being evacuated. I hope this second event turns out to be a false alarm. Good Lord.

14. mikecweb

mikecweb Third Generation Arizonan

Twitter is so 2016

15. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Well Facebook is full of hopes and prayers and hugs and the same article reposted.

CFI A&P, mshunter and Adler like this.
  16. NickH

NickH Dank Meme

Probably a false alarm. Shots are probably remotely gaining access to suspects vehicle. Multiple aggressors are incredibly rare.

17. fast89pony

fast89pony Well-Known Member

More shots fired.

18. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu My friend Martin said...

Having thoughts and praying (if that's your thing) is great. Posting it online is usually more a case of social media masturbation. Like the poor kid that was tortured in Chicago, this is one of those events where EVERYONE of sound mind is appalled. But let's be honest, 90% of the #thoughtsandprayers crowd will be back to their daily lives and reality tv in a couple hours. Until we really want to apply logic to these situations and have an honest conversation, this kind of stuff will continue to be every day life in America.

JordanD likes this.
  19. Crop Duster

Crop Duster UNSUB

Wow! Surprised to hear that coming from you. Rough day??
    First: I think we are jumping a little too quickly to take @ChasenSFO 's assumption that this was the doing of some malcontent at face value and run with it. I'm not saying he's wrong, but we don't really know what happened here, do we??
    Second: Man, I wish it were that easy... for many, many folks help is very hard to find. Then there are those who are so bad off they might not even know where to go for help... and that's assuming they know they need it. Psychological pathology is rather pernicious. It affects the organ of reasoning. So asking a person with Psychopathology to use his/her brain rationally to seek help is often akin to asking the guy with a compound fracture of the femur to walk to the emergency room.

BTW, RIP to those who perished.

20. Burrito

Burrito I'll ask the stupid questions

Hope you guys all are safe.

Good friend and fellow crewmember has been transiting FLL all day long - this is stupidly close to home.