1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest! Early registration available for NetworkJC 2014!
    October 22, 2014 at The Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Eventbrite - NetworkJC 2014, presented by Jetcareers.com

Resolution Advisory and FAA Investigation

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by cstewart6, Jun 21, 2011.

1. cstewart6

cstewart6 Just smart enough to operate the machines

Got the phone call today. The FAA Inspector from Allentown FSDO called and wants me to email him a written report of my take of an RA I triggered while flying jumpers. We're in busy airspace right near V30, a busy departure out of Newark with heavy dash 8 traffic at 8000 feet. I was setting up for the jump run when ATC told me to turn left, then I heard the Piedmont plane report the RA. Never saw him until he was behind me after I turned.

So what should I expect here? I was under the impression that RA's were the controller's problem. I filled out a NASA report, not like I have any idea how that will help me. Any of you guys know what I should expect, or possible outcomes of this? Or advice? :dunno:
  2. RDoug

RDoug Well-Known Member

It doesn't (to me, at least) sound as if it's you they're after. I suspect FSDO may be contacting you at the behest of the Air Traffic manager whose facility was involved in the RA.

From what little you've posted here, I wouldn't want to be the controller, but we don't have the full story as yet.
  3. boondr

boondr Penalty Vectorer

You were VFR and you probably were in Class E airspace (I don't know if it's even allowed per the FARs but Para-jumpers in Class B would be borderline retarded.) I don't see what the issue FSDO is. And Piedmont's Dash-8's have a super sensitive TCAS from my experience. One example, year or two ago I had a Dash level at 5000, a VFR twin opposite direction but slightly offset level at 4500. Called traffic to both, both reported in sight when 5 miles apart. 30 Secs later "Piedmont 45XX RA Climb!" When asked about it later he said that was the only traffic on his TCAS and it had him do a max rate climb for 500'+. They passed about 1/4-1/2 mile apart on parallel but opposite courses in Class E
  4. Pilotforhire587

Pilotforhire587 Lycra Man

ehhh You are fine, keep us posted on if you hear anything back though.
  5. cstewart6

cstewart6 Just smart enough to operate the machines

I had been doing the same route all day and on other days prior to that. The airport is actually right on the border btw NY and Allentown's airspace, and to keep the controllers happy and not having to call each other every time i circled and crossed their border, I flew to the northeast and then south, then back west to the airport.

When I flew westbound I'd be parallel with the departure traffic. We jump from 9000 MSL, so when I did my turn from southbound to westbound, I'm just about at 8000. It was never an issue before, though, because approach would advise me of traffic well ahead of time (8 - 10 miles) and tell me to stop my climb at 7500. This time, approach told me of traffic at 2 miles, and within seconds told me to turn. From what I saw it didn't look like it was that close. When I saw him at my 5 o clock in my turn, I didn't think he was past me yet and he looked to be about a mile away. But the Piedmont guy obviously thought different and was pretty upset and called it a near midair.

Since this happened, we met with NY Tracon, and they showed us the tapes and proposed a letter of agreement, but it hasn't been signed yet. I modified my climbs, descents, and jump run to stay as far away from V30 as possible though.
  6. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Well-Known Member

It's a tough spot to drop in, having done similar ops from 14.5 over at Pennridge between the two dash 8 corridors coming from the nw and ne. Overall I wouldn't worry too much, just let them know your side. I don't have any experience with your particular situation, so when I say don't worry, take it with a grain of salt. But, IF I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be loosing sleep over it.
  7. C150J

C150J Well-Known Member

My suspicion is that this is due to an ASAP report (the airline's non-punitive voluntary reporting program). Just a guess, but I'm assuming the Dash crew filed a report.
  8. at1024

at1024 displaced Texan

There's a DZ here in San Diego that borders Lindbergh's final, right smack in class bravo. I was flying one day and heard a Fedex heavy reporting jumpers off his left wing and less than a mile, same altitude, as he was trying to join the localizer. Anyway he kept saying it and all the controller had to say was "turn left, join the localizer..." like he didn't seem to care.
  9. z987k

z987k Other Barry.

I wouldn't worry about it. I can't count on all my fingers and toes the number of RA's I've caused being in a terrible place (in contact with atc), having people go above their assigned altitude below me.