1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest! Early registration available for NetworkJC 2014!
    October 22, 2014 at The Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Eventbrite - NetworkJC 2014, presented by Jetcareers.com

Purdue Purchases 16 SR20s

Discussion in 'Purdue University' started by Dynasty22, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jynxyjoe

jynxyjoe The Kickin' Chicken!

I don't know man, round dials to glass is easy. We've been watching the glass to round dials (-900 FO's to Saab FO's) conversions and it's led to some pretty embarrassing stories.

Teach them on the hard stuff so they can later get on the glass and say "ahh, this is easier!".
  2. clayfenderstrat

clayfenderstrat Well-Known Member

This. :clap:
  3. GUNIT

GUNIT Well-Known Member

How much is Purdue going to charge for the SIC type on the Phenom?
  4. Pilotwannabe1123

Pilotwannabe1123 New Member

Wow thats awesome. They are prob the only college with a Phenom.
  5. clayfenderstrat

clayfenderstrat Well-Known Member

I think it's kind of a double edged sword. Those in the flight program work their tails off so that they can fly the Beechjet. I believe the type rating was paid for, and there was a scholarship involved. It was incentive to do well. Now, they are wanting everybody to get X amount of hours in the Phenom from what I have heard. Now there is no incentive to get into the "special" program that gets you time in the jet. On the other hand, everyone will graduate with a little jet time. Not that it really matters right now anyway.....
  6. Adler

Adler Nobody Important

Yes at WMU students are trained on glass for private and instrument, but in commercial it's off to round dials, be it in the arrow, or the multi fleet. 50 or so hours (if you go multi initial for your commercial) I think definitely teaches how to fly 6-packs.
  7. challenger

challenger New Member

What do you mean? As UND says, "it is a great time to be going through training, the market will most definetly pick back up 4 years from now"! :laff::rotfl::insane::crazy:
  8. bronco21016

bronco21016 I know H.T.M.L. (How To Meet Ladies)

I think it really depends on the job market. When things were booming I believe it was much more advantageous to have the glass experience. Now it does kind of hurt those that can't fly the round dials because they're likely to take a job flying the dials. Luckily I only did my IFR training in a Cirrus so I'm pretty much 200 of my 250 hrs round dials. Bring on some junk freight planes!

Hopefully Purdue does well with their purchase of Cirrus. They're not bad airplanes but they can be difficult for beginners.
  9. GUNIT

GUNIT Well-Known Member

An SIC type in a Phenom (which will be flown predominantly single pilot) will not get you very far. The BarbieJet SIC type is much more marketable.
  10. element94

element94 Well-Known Member

Nolan/Dillman/Mitch have all contended that the type in the Phenom will be single pilot PIC...Not a SIC 61.55 training endorsement (SIC type rating).
  11. GUNIT

GUNIT Well-Known Member

I'll buy that when it happens. It is a real PITA to get certified to issue type ratings. There's a reason Purdue hasn't done so with the 727.

In any case, the Phenom is a poor choice from the students perspective. An SIC type in it will get you nowhere, but a PIC type with ~350 hours and 10 turbine will get you nowhere either. Wait and buy a Phenom 300, keep the Beechjet, or look at a Citation. If they really want to, get a Super King Air; I believe those are over 12.5.
  12. GUNIT

GUNIT Well-Known Member

Not to mention the new sim has been coming for years; literally, years. The rumored type has changed multiple times.
  13. GUNIT

GUNIT Well-Known Member

Totally forgot to mention FAR 61.64. As your first jet type you'd be required to get 25 hours supervised operating experience before you can act as PIC unless you do training and the practical test in the airplane, which I seriously doubt happening.
  14. Torch1930

Torch1930 Well-Known Member

CRJ sim will be here in the next two weeks. FRASCA Phenom and Cirrus sims are coming shortly after.

About not getting a type rating in a 727...:rotfl:Why would I want that?
  15. GUNIT

GUNIT Well-Known Member

You may not want it today, but ten or twelve years ago it would have been decent to have.
  16. OneToGo

OneToGo Well-Known Member

What an embarrassingly asinine statement. 0.0% chance of that happening. Keep drinking that cool aid! :beer:
  17. Torch1930

Torch1930 Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing from Suckow and Carney. Let's see what happens.
  18. OneToGo

OneToGo Well-Known Member

In order for Purdue to issue PIC types, they will need to have the Captains authorized by the FSDO to be an examiner in that airplane. That requires 75/100 hours PIC in type, can't remember which. Additionally, as Max points out, either a substantial amount of turbine time OR time in type is required. No chance that Purdue will do this. They are just throwing fuel on the BS fire.
  19. element94

element94 Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet Mitch will have 75 or 100 hours by next year. Especially when you consider that all the current juniors will have 10 hours in them. That's at least 600 hours per semester for the entire class -- plenty of time to get the experience required for at least one, if not 6 DPE's. Carney has something like 6,000 turbine PIC. I'd imagine Mitch is up there with him. After a few hours in type, I'm nearly certain that'd satisfy almost any regulatory and/or insurance requirement.

Regarding 61.64: We're getting all the training in the airplane, anyway. That's why they're doing away with TFO and instituting a lab fee. To that end, we can receive an unrestricted type rating after the checkride. I'm not saying that will happen immediately, but in the not too distant future it's very likely.
  20. GUNIT

GUNIT Well-Known Member

I have a lengthy response for this, but I'm running out the door. From what I understand, the Phenom will still be utilized to transport staff/faculty (cough Cordova cough). I have a feeling she's not going to be into doing V1 cuts in the back.