1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest! Early registration available for NetworkJC 2014 ends July 31st!
    SAVE SOME LOOT
    October 22, 2014 at The Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Eventbrite - NetworkJC 2014, presented by Jetcareers.com

Purdue fleet

Discussion in 'Purdue University' started by Kestrel452, Sep 3, 2009.

1. GUNIT

GUNIT Well-Known Member

Beechjet 400A & 2 Kingair B200's. IAD is a typical destination. OnetoGo can give a better picture of usual ops with them.
  2. Torch1930

Torch1930 Well-Known Member

It's my understanding the King Airs are being replaced by the Phenom and the Beechjet is staying since it's owned by the Purdue Research Foundation.
  3. SteveC

SteveC Really? Staff Member

Interesting comparison from the KA200 to the Phenom I'd think. The Phenom should be a tad faster and a lot easier on fuel, but won't have near the payload. If the typical load is just a couple of pax then the Phenom would probably make sense. Not so much if there are 6 people...
  4. Torch1930

Not to mention you have to crawl to move around in the thing. It was pretty cool though.
  5. OneToGo

OneToGo Well-Known Member

Beechjet is not staying. In fact, it will likely be the first to go. It is losing value at the fastest rate. Also, there has been talk of keeping one BE20. Once the Phenom arrives, bye-bye Beechjet. Not that it really flies more than once a week anyway... Once the Phenom is delivered, PRF will take ownership of it. All three currently owned turbine airplanes will be gone. Typical BE20 destinations are much closer than GUNIT advertises. More in the 200-300nm range. Stuff like ORD, FWA, MDW are the most frequent flights. IAD flights only happen a few times per semester. Either way, this corporate travel stuff is pretty much going away completely. While the Phenom is being touted as taking this role, in reality it will not. Access to the jet will be extremely limited compared to what it is now for the turbine aircraft. My guess it will be restricted to the President's use and her staff ONLY. Current airplanes are used by the Dean's, athletic people, etc.
  6. clayfenderstrat

clayfenderstrat Well-Known Member

One of my professors said that everyone in the program would get 10 hours in the jet, and maybe a type rating out of the deal. He seemed pleased with the transaction. I got out of the program earlier this year, and switched to aviation management, so I won't get any time in any of the new planes.....
  7. OneToGo

[​IMG]
  8. Torch1930

Oooooooooh yaaaaaaaaaa
  9. Blip16

Blip16 Well-Known Member

10. Torch1930

That's why I was :rotfl:
  11. Kestrel452

Kestrel452 Suspended

Purdue is not getting a dime from me now for flight training. If they think any sensible person wants to do their training in a Cirrus then they must have rocks in their head.

All their equipment, tools, and machinery is all for piper stuff. Why would they go to composite technology?
  12. OneToGo

Correct. From a flight training standpoint, it is a horrible selection. As if the instruction here was not poor enough, as it is. However, from a marketing standpoint (seniors in HS see a cirrus 'ooh I wanna fly that one instead of Riddle's C172') it is brilliant. They will bill out more hours, at a higher price. Just like the school's awful stance on the ATP, this more is out of self-preservation, not out of hopes to improve training quality. Oh well, I'm outta here before they come!! :)
  13. amd87

amd87 Well-Known Member

Every professor I flew with in the Beechjet seemed to be opposed to the idea of bringing in a Pheonom and letting the students tool around in it for 10 hours. As far as the Cirrus is concerned...you've got to be kidding me. The part-time instructors couldn't even teach Warrior systems let alone that of a Cirrus... I can't wait for these things to be parachuting out of the sky.
  14. clayfenderstrat

clayfenderstrat Well-Known Member

Since Purdue is a public school, they cannot up their flight costs for a few years. They can only increase the flight fees at an increment equal to that of tuition. That means that for the next 3-4 years, flying the Cirrus will be at the same price for the students as the Warriors. They won't be able to jack up the flight fees for awhile to offset the new fleet.
  15. OneToGo

Hey, pass me the pitcher of kool-aid!!!
  16. OneToGo

Tuition, yes. But we are talking about flight fees, which are billed ON TOP of tuition, essentially as a "lab fee".. the school can charge whatever it wants for lab fees.
  17. amd87

amd87 Well-Known Member

When are the new planes supposed to arrive?

P.S. Any kid who PAYS to fly the Pheonom from LAF to MDW on a "training flight" is getting completely ripped off. At least the Beechjet pilots got a $2k scholarship....
  18. etflies

etflies Keeping calm, Chiving on.

Next fall. If you thought it hit the fan when they were soloing in the Pipers, hold on tight for the Cirri fleet. It'll be interesting. You'll miss it amd!
  19. amd87

amd87 Well-Known Member

The Cirri fleet is going to be a mess....Hopefully they have the recog. lights like the Warriors so you can spot them while they are heading straight toward you on the wrong downwind. All I know is those guys in LAF Tower definitely dont make enough now!
  20. amd87

amd87 Well-Known Member

In addition, Jeff better be updating the fleet to glass cockpits now that his customers will expect it!