1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, help us promote NetworkJC 2014 and earn cash!

Private Company Pay for Flight Training?

Discussion in 'Corporate/Fractional/Charter Aviation' started by pilatuspilot, Apr 29, 2010.

1. pilatuspilot

pilatuspilot Well-Known Member

Has anybody ever had the company that they worked for pay their way through flight training? How would you convince the owner to spend his money on you to train you to fly his multi-million dollar aircraft? This is assuming you have been with a company for 5 years and know the owner and CEO well. Thank you!
  2. minitour

minitour New Member

Hey Joe, want to play golf Saturday at my club? I can get you on no problem.

Sure, Mike!

*FF to Saturday*

Hey Joe, you want to make this a little interesting?...

-mini
  3. mattyt98

mattyt98 Well-Known Member

yeah what he said!!!! :yup:
  4. pilatuspilot

There has got to be somebody out there that's had their training paid for..
  5. Crockrocket94

Crockrocket94 Oh boy! Can I play too?

Well, our company specifically does charter work, so we're not quite in the same boat :)

And Mini, im not good at golf so it would just backfire here haha.

You play often?
  6. minitour

minitour New Member

I'm frequently on a golf course, but I refuse to call it "golf" these days. I'm getting close though.

-mini
  7. AV8RBOY

AV8RBOY New Member

I guess that depends on what you mean by "flight training." Are you an "ab initio" (hate that phrase) student? Or do you just need to be trained for the specific aircraft, but already have your ratings?

I have had a type rating paid for by the company in exchange for my signature on a training contract: i.e., if you leave in the next year, you'll have to pay back the pro-rated training costs. So you could offer to sign a contract... Ya know... If the golf thingy doesn't work out.
  8. aloft

aloft Penalty Box

Acquiring the ratings is only half the battle. Getting insured is the other half, and insuring a pilot with a wet commercial ticket in a multimillion dollar aircraft will be prohibitively expensive, if available at all.

If you're not already a pilot, what's up with your username?
  9. Callador

Callador New Member

Stark Aerospace out of Columbus MS paid to have a couple of their guys get the PPL and Instrument rating to legally launch the UAV flights. So I guess there are jobs out there do this sort of thing.

On a side note, I know Tony is in there building the new Ole Miss Warmachine so State can win! :)
  10. pilatuspilot

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I'm just trying to figure out my best way of getting this done. And ALOF my profile reflects my future employment (dream job).. I work for a company that owns 4 PC-12's. Currently I detail them after hours for O.T. I'm in good with the group, I just need to get all of my ratings. I paid my way through private and started on instrument. Money is tight for me right now, so my object here was to find out if it was appropriate to work out a deal with my company where they send me to flight school to finish my ratings based upon a contract deal of some sort. Thanks guys
  11. C150J

C150J Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope things work out for you but as previously stated, the ratings alone will not satisfy insurance requirements, nor meet general safety standards in any respect. Unless the company is willing to spend an inordinate amount of money on already-expensive insurance premiums, you're going to need thousands of hours of experience before qualifying (or even feeling comfortable) in that plane.

You might be able to sit right seat and observe. Although not a required crew member, you could probably learn a lot while you work through your ratings.

Good luck!
  12. ricecakecm

ricecakecm Well-Known Member

I did some IOE type training for a pilot in a Meridian. He had his private and his company paid for him to get his instrument. But he also did sales for the company. This is the only case I've ever ran into other than a company paying for Sim training/type ratings.
  13. jerrywhite7

jerrywhite7 Well-Known Member

Try to get in on the Right seat. . . unless they have right seaters, this is only a single pilot rated aircraft.
    And something to think about, the company has no idea what type of pilot you are, or GOING to be. You might be a bad stick, and make poor inflight decisions. So why would they pay for your training, when you might not be the type of pilot or have the skills needed to fly the airplane.

This is like an NFL team hiring a star QB at the age of 2, sending him to the best camps and hoping he is going to the the right fit for the team.

It sucks . . . trust me, I spent most of my teens and 20's (and part of my 30's) trying to figure out how to pay for all my ratings!!

NOW, since you are already working around the airplane, this can ONLY be a GREAT THING FOR YOU!! Because in aprt 91/135 opps, it is ALL about who you know!!

Our company was about to hire a right seater who only had single engine instrument so that he could "assit the capt with his duties". The plane was a merlin, but it is single pilot (althogh just barely). So you never know!!!

Hang in there, be cool with the pilots, and try to fly in the right seat as much as you can!!!