1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obtaining my Instrument and Multi-Engine Ratings

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by jbpilot, Jun 2, 2007.

1. jbpilot

jbpilot Well-Known Member

I currently hold a private pilot license. Should I do the multi-engine rating next, and then the instrument rating? Or, would you do the instrument and then the multi? Does it really matter?

The reason I ask is that I talked to someone who said that if you do the instrument before the Multi, you are only licensed to fly the single engine airplane in IFR conditions. The multi would be VFR only. So, he said that if I did the multi first, the instrument rating would qualify me for both MEL and SEL.

Thanks for your help!
  2. WCAT1918

WCAT1918 New Member

At our FBO, it costs nearly double what it does to rent an IFR warrior. A multi engine airplane is a big jump from your cessna 172 not to mention a lot of money. I don't think it would be too smart an idea to get the multi engine rating now. Getting an instrument rating I think is a lot more important than going for the multi engine rating at this stage in your training. There are situations where it really comes in handy and it can be a life saver. Your friend is right about if you get your instrument in a single engine you only have single engine IFR privelages, but if you get your instrument in a multi engine, you only have multi engine IFR privelages so he's wrong in that aspect. Multi engine time is important, but learn the basics skills of interpreting and flying instruments because from what I hear that will help you going into the multi engine rating. Good luck in whatever decision you make.
  3. jbpilot

Thanks for the feedback...I truly apprecaite it! The only thing I'm still a bit confused on is the order....

I am no longer pursuing a career in aviation, but I am familiar with ATP's program. And they take you from Private Pilot SEL to Private MEL to Instrument MEL.

http://www.atpflightschool.com/airl...ine_career_pilot_program/flight_training.html

Why would they do that if it didn't qualify you for the Single Engine Instrument Rating as well?
  4. jbpilot

5. Fly4Pay

Fly4Pay New Member

OK, to clarify, the instrument rating is separate from the single or multi. Get your instrument in one, and it covers both. BUT.. until you finish your multi, you wouldn't be able to do instrument in multi during your training.

SO... if you did multi first, then once you were done, you could do your instrument training in either airplane. But WHICHEVER you did first, once you were done with both, the instrument would apply to both. So it's really just a matter of preference...

Clear as mud?
  6. jbpilot

I think that makes sense. So let me make sure I understand....

If I completed my Mult-Engine next, I would be a Private Pilot SEL and MEL. THEN, if I completed my instrument rating in a Multi, and passed the checkride, would I still have to do a checkride in a Single to get the Instrument Rating to cover the single?

Converseley, if I completed my Multi, and then the Instrument rating in a SINGLE, do I have to pass both a single-instrument checkride and a multi-instrument checkride in order to get the Instrument rating to cover both?

Sorry for all the questions!!!! I do appreciate the help, though.
  7. ElyJs

ElyJs New Member

I have only taken 4 checkrides. PPL, Single engine Instrument, Commercial multi instrument, and single engine commercial add-on. You can do your intial commercial in a multi and include instrument with it.

-Jason
  8. jbpilot

Ok, since I am not interested in getting a commercial, can the same be said for Private? That is: PPL, Single Engine Instrument, Multi-Engine Add-On with Instrument. So, 3 different courses/checkrides...is that correct? I am assuming if I did the Multi Add-On after the SEL Instrument, I could combine the Multi with the Multi Instrument.
  9. Crockrocket94

Crockrocket94 Oh boy! Can I play too?

Actually if you were to get an instrument rating in a single, then get you wouldnt be IR in the Multi. UNLESS you perform the single engine ifr approach during the multi ride. Check the PTS, there are 2 or 3 more thing you must do to get IR in the multi.
    However, you can do the IR in the multi and that covers the single engine, but not the other way around.

Keep that in mind.