1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with training contract

Discussion in 'Ask An Aviation Attorney' started by flyinghedgehog, Feb 6, 2017.

1. BajtheJino

BajtheJino I'm looking at you.

Is this for a super dooper awesome type rating? In today's climate there is never a reason to sign a training contract like this. Its one thing if its just the standard "Please pay us back if you leave. And we'll prorate it too. But if you don't pay us back...well, that's cool too. Please work for us." but with hiring being like it is I wouldn't sign sheet.

flyinghedgehog likes this.
  2. flyinghedgehog

flyinghedgehog Well-Known Member

It is awesome but aint 777 nor G550

3. flyinghedgehog

Update for those who gave their two cents, I have to admit I am not comfortable with the contract at all. Oddly enough a lot of airline pilots friends said it is something they can work with. A friend who runs a successful business said it is not ideal but he would go for it if he were I. MidlifeFlyer said it is not the best but not a deal breaker either.

One training captain who works for a legacy said NO.

I am waiting to hear back from two attorneys. Luckily I have friends otherwise these consultations would have run me a grand ( one employment attorney wants $450 an hour for 3 hours minimum.) Lesson for everybody -- it is best to never ever get in trouble to begin with.

After all was said and done I am still not happy about this. Maybe it is a sign to just leave it behind...dunno

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  4. averettpilot

averettpilot Well-Known Member

I'd work for a regional before ever signing another training contract. Any company that has to financially tie you to them ain't worth crap.

5. Crop Duster

Crop Duster UNSUB

In what state is the contract being offered?

6. MidlifeFlyer

MidlifeFlyer Well-Known Member

Ultimately, all a lawyer can do is tell you what the documents say and mean, whether and to what extent they are enforceable and, perhaps, what might be negotiable. He or she can't make the risk/benefit decision for you.

flyinghedgehog likes this.
  7. flyinghedgehog

Yeah with the amount of hours I have it is either this or PC-12 operators. Or Ameriflight (scary!) Or maybe flying turbo prop in Alaska. I probably should reach out to those who have worked in Alaska to see if there is any operators that are not shady.

8. Crop Duster

Crop Duster UNSUB

It's rarely shady in Alaska... Too many clouds.

BTW, what's scary about Ameriflight?

9. flyinghedgehog

@ Crop Duster you must have flown in Alaska? Care to tell which employers are ok to work for? Want to take this stuff to PM?