1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More efficient: prop or jet?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by caliginousface, Dec 5, 2007.

1. caliginousface

caliginousface Frank N. Beans

Hey all,
    Had a friend ask me, a plane a prop and jet of similar size, which is more efficient. Would like to hear more than just opinion if that's not too much to ask. Thanks!
  2. jynxyjoe

jynxyjoe The Kickin' Chicken!

depends. long haul its more efficient for a jet, short haul its t-prop time.

watch the new dash 8 -400's blow the doors off 50-70 seaters on short hauls
  3. caliginousface

What qualifies as short and long haul?
  4. USMC-SSGT

USMC-SSGT Well-Known Member

typically around 500 miles or less
  5. Mr.Maximus

Mr.Maximus New Member

Depends entirely on the mission. Type of flying I do - coast to coast & international - there is only one choice, and it has to cruise above .80M.
  6. caliginousface

Thanks for the answers btw, but he wants more that I can't give him (I'm a bad lover?).

So...Why is a prop more efficient for short hauls. Why can they fly faster arrivals and/or approaches?
  7. E6BAV8R

E6BAV8R New Member

The ole' shiny jets are much slicker through the air and therefore make it much harder for them to slow down so they generally have to start slowing down miles before a t-prop would.

T-props have the huge props sticking out there that create massive amounts of drag and weight and it makes the airplane much easier to slow down if desired, as well as having the ability to move the prop angles to also help you in slowing down.

In lamens terms ;)
  8. Cessnaflyer

Cessnaflyer ?

Enter the Unducted Prop Fan.

[FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0001821/L/[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I really wish this would come to fruition.
  9. Dugie8

Dugie8 Well-Known Member

Depends on your definition of "efficient". The PC12 can carry more gas than most people have space in their bladder, that can be called efficient. A DC8 can carry about 95,000#s about 4500 miles on 150,000 pounds of fuel, that can be called efficient.

Time and fuel used aren't always the best benchmarks, but they are probably the most common.
  10. Derg

Derg Major Domo Staff Member

Depends on how far you'd like to fly!

Jets whizz a lot of gas below the tropopause and you don't enjoy the economics of a jet until you're able to get up high and cruise for a long time.

Turboprops are very efficient in the teens and low 20's.
  11. MusketeerMan

MusketeerMan Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm.....well, I can go from Sacramento to San Diego in my Beech for about $175 AND stop on a dime. Can you?? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, it'll also take me about 4 1/2 hours.
  12. Realms09

Realms09 Well-Known Member

Different powerplants will be optimum for different speed (Mach) regimes.

In order of increasing Mach,

Turboprop -> Turbofan -> Turbojet -> Ramjet -> Scramjet -> Rocket

Over short routes you are unlikely to average a high speed for very long, so there is no sense in carrying a high-speed powerplant. Even if each powerplant is operated in its optimum speed range, the turboprop will be the most fuel efficient. From an efficiency standpoint it is always better to accelerate a large mass of air a little bit than a small mass of air a whole lot. It would use less fuel to fly a turboprop transcon than it would an equivalent sized jet, but it would just take too damn long.
  13. Sidious

Sidious Well-Known Member

That just looks wicked! Ive never even heard of this.
  14. B767Driver

B767Driver New Member

Just to add on...the propulsive efficiency of turborpops and jets have much to do with the speed at which they fly.

A turboprop will reach about 80% efficiency at around 280kts, then drops off sharply.

A jet's propulsive efficiency actually increases with speed. A jet would reach 100% propulsive efficiency if its inlet air equalled its exhaust velocity. Although efficient, you still have to throw a lot of fuel around to get the thrust levels to reach those speeds. Probably not a good idea on a 300 mile leg.

So, the answer to your friend's question...how far do you want to fly?
  15. flyover

flyover New Member

On a transport type I'm guessing this would happen at some point after the wings separated from the fuselage? (Don't know much about arrowdynamics.)
  16. darrenf

darrenf resident denizen

I remember seeing these things in Popular Science in the early to mid 80's. I guess they haven't worked out so well, or the manufacturers are afraid of the public opinion regarding props.
  17. PeanuckleCRJ

PeanuckleCRJ Poodle Wrangler

Apparently the UDF made tremendous noise on the inside and outside as well as a lot of cabin vibration.
  18. taseal

taseal Well-Known Member

yeah I made a project on this. it was WAY too loud, vibrations were nuts, and wasn't as efficient as they thought ti would be.
  19. frog_flyer

frog_flyer FredFlyer

I couldn't tell.
  20. caliginousface

Thanks for the responses!