1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern bouncing bomb recreation

Discussion in 'Military Pilots' started by JeppUpdater, Mar 17, 2017.

1. JeppUpdater

JeppUpdater Well-Known Member

Dam!

"Dr. Hugh Hunt, an engineer from the University of Cambridge, was curious about the destructive potential of the bouncing bomb so he recreated it."

NickH, z987k and BigZ like this.
  2. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Where do I sign up?

3. Hacker15e

Hacker15e The Intersection of Opportunity and Preparation

This was done years ago with the Ice Pilots guys and broadcast on TV, etc -- I wonder why it is all over social media now?

Adler likes this.
  4. dustoff17

dustoff17 Well-Known Member

That is a pretty cool video but not a realistic test of the bomb's effectiveness. Oh well, it was entertaining and I'm pretty sure that was the point.

5. NickH

NickH Dank Meme

Barnes Wallis was a smart man, but the raid wasn't the success many think, and at a high cost. The effectiveness of the bombs wasn't the issue, so much as the overestimate of the damage done and it's strategic result.

6. Crop Duster

Crop Duster UNSUB

So the burst (as best I can tell with youtube's lame slow-mo capabilities) appears to originate 4-5 block tiers below the impact point, and there is a large spire of dispersed water behind the dam along with what apears to be a flame front. Is it the weakening effect of the original impact alone that is alleged to cause the dam burst or or is the barrel loaded with explosives which detonate later and are assisted in blowing the dam by the weakening effect of the original impact? If it's supposed to be impact induced only, this does not appear to be real.
    Also, I realize this is in Canada, eh! But even in Canada, where the heck is one allowed to randomly drain a lake??? Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 18.06.24.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 17:13
  7. Hacker15e

Hacker15e The Intersection of Opportunity and Preparation

They put explosives on the inside of the dam to make it detonate. The "bomb" is concrete-filled.

In this clip posted above they've edited it to look like the concrete bomb caused the detonation, but the full video (below) shows that's not how it actually occurred.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 16:38
    Crop Duster likes this.
  8. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

Th original bombs, and the recreation, were spun so that when they hit the dam wall, they would roll down the face and then detonate using the over pressure wave to collapse the dam. They really weren't bombs, but depth charges.

JeppUpdater, NickH and Crop Duster like this.
  9. NickH

NickH Dank Meme