1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malaysia Airlines 777 missing

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by ComplexHiAv8r, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Pilot Fighter

Pilot Fighter Well-Known Member

...other than providing everything the French asked for.

2. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Dangerous

If nothing else, it will escape through the windows. I'm pretty sure every one of those has a built in pinhole leak.

3. RDoug

RDoug Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm old enough. We were instructed to use that phraseology in cases where an aircraft's transponder was overwhelming our secondary. When that happened you'd get a secondary "ring" that would encompass the entire main bang at a distance equal to the actual target. Never actually saw it, nor had to use the phraseology, though.

inigo88 likes this.
  4. inigo88

inigo88 Dreaming of canards in the desert...

Are we talking ARTS-III stuff? Or older? :)

[​IMG]

5. brent p h

brent p h Penalty Box

Paul Weeks who has disappeared with the Malaysia Flight is a Mechanical Engineer... he gave his wife a wedding ring & watch before boarding as if he knew something was wrong....

6. brent p h

brent p h Penalty Box

On searching Google, I found another Paul Weeks who is a Mechanical Engineer and guess what, works for Boeing....

He specifically works on guess what plane?? Yep, Boeing 777 like the one that disappeared.

7. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read about that and though that was bizarre but some folks are pretty superstitious when they fly. My wife texts out a will to her mom every time she flies.

dvtpilot and So ILL like this.
  8. Pilot Fighter

[I hate posts that make me do some math. Let's see, Archimedes principle will help with buoyancy. Now, volume of air compressed at half an atmosphere of depth.]

9. SteveC

SteveC Really? Staff Member

I think that we would need to do some calculations to see if the amount of initial buoyancy can offset the weight of the aircraft which is the only way that it would stay at or near the surface. I'm too lazy to dig, but you would need to know the total weight of the aircraft and the total volume, then compare the overall density (weight per unit volume) to the density of seawater. Higher density, it sinks. Lower density it floats.

Once it starts sinking trouble happens in a hurry. Pressure doubles with every 35' or so of depth, so the volume of air would be squeezed into 1/2 it's original space every time the pressure doubles. Won't take long and the air in the vessel (if it doesn't leak out) will be in a small pocket at the roof of the pressure vessel.

inigo88 and Pilot Fighter like this.
  10. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known Member

Ok, now that is bizarre if true.

11. SteveC

SteveC Really? Staff Member

Can we go back to that transponder question/statement you made earlier?

A Life Aloft likes this.
  12. brent p h

brent p h Penalty Box

His specific role:
    Product Review Engineer II - 777 Wing & Final Body Join Integration at Boeing.

13. Pichettet1

Pichettet1 Well-Known Member

Not the same Paul Weeks.

14. brent p h

brent p h Penalty Box

The plane that disappeared had it's wing clipped by another plane and had to be repaired....

15. brent p h

brent p h Penalty Box

One other thing... I read or heard on the news that the plane went through routine maintenance two weeks ago. I would like to see what they did and who they work for.

16. A Life Aloft

A Life Aloft Well-Known Member

And this means what exactly? So what? It's a different person with the same common name.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  17. brent p h

brent p h Penalty Box

Another passenger on the plane was called Robert Lawton. I have found a Obituary for the death of a different Robert Lawton back in Feb 2013....One of his jobs, he worked as a joint mechanic on BOEING 777 planes....

18. Pichettet1

Pichettet1 Well-Known Member

Stop, just stop. At least look into what you're suggesting more than seeing a LinkedIn profile with the same name before posting this garbage. The Boeing employee's LinkedIn https://touch.www.linkedin.com/?se...//www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-weeks/33/6b8/b31

He graduated in 2011, looks like he's 25. Not from NZ, lives in Washington. C'mon man.

19. A Life Aloft

A Life Aloft Well-Known Member

That happened two years ago and was rather minor. It was the tip of one wing. Have you seen the photos? It was repaired by Boeing.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  20. Pilot Fighter

Can't we apply Archimedes principle and ignore density. Damn I'm getting old. Did I forget or did I never know this stuff. Do they still make those big engineering handbooks that have every calculation you could think of?

At .25 ATM, I don't think we are compressing much, but it grows quickly as you descend.

I deleted my post to give it some more thought, probably too lazy to do the math.