1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long after taking Prednisone can I fly?

Discussion in 'Ask A Flight Surgeon' started by Mike734, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Mike734

Mike734 New Member

I've had a chronic cough accompanied by phlem and wheezing when my lungs are near empty. This has been going on for 6 weeks. I've seen the doctor 3 times in that time and tried 2 courses of antibiotics. So far nothing has helped. My doc now thinks I have some sort of RSV mutant for adults. He has prescribed prednisone (60mg/day for 3 days) may help knock this out. I know I can't fly on that much prednisone.

How long after taking that much can I fly? Is 24 hours enough?
  2. My Flight Surgeon

My Flight Surgeon Sr. Aviation Medical Examiner Staff Member

I would wait at least 3 days after prednisone. The issues are 2, 1) the underlying lung problem that you want to be sure is cleared and 2) the potential side effects of the prednisone.
  3. gator4798

gator4798 Well-Known Member

Yikes!. I only take 5 Mg twice a day and I think thats too much. That stuff is nasty. Good luck. Hope it clears it up.
  4. Mike734

Mike734 New Member

What kind of side effects can I expect that are nasty? I started the "treatment" a few hours ago and the only thing I feel is a little light headed and a funny taste in my mouth.
  5. Mike734

Mike734 New Member

Thanks but the lung problem has not kept me grounded much. My lung capacity does not seem to be affected much, my sinuses are clear, and I usually feel pretty good. It's just the cough is annoying and concerns me. I've been lucky that I have been on reserve the whole time and have only been asked to fly 3 times (4 legs total).

If I don't notice any side effects in 3 days can I safely (legally) put myself back on reserve without waiting the additional 3 days?
  6. My Flight Surgeon

My Flight Surgeon Sr. Aviation Medical Examiner Staff Member