1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawaiian Window Opening (Feb 8th)

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by BobDDuck, Jan 29, 2017.

1. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Way to pull the ladder up on your new hires...

cmhumphr, Skåning and Dexter like this.
  2. DE727UPS

DE727UPS Well-Known Member

UPS first year $45. Second year $171. Just for reference...

3. maschmi2

maschmi2 Well-Known Member

So wait, first year pay is still $36 with the AIP?

4. CRJDriver

CRJDriver Well-Known Member

Ouch!

5. subpilot

subpilot Squawking 7600

Just live in a tent in a park and eat at the soup kitchen your first year.

alaskadrifter and Dexter like this.
  6. cmhumphr

cmhumphr Well-Known Member

I completed my first year at HAL about 3 months ago. Still don't know how I managed it but it is extremely difficult, even just taking care of myself. I recommend going on CraigsList and finding a room to rent (typically good places at 750-1000 bucks). Buy an island beater as your transportation and you should be set.

7. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

Legitimately, I loved living in Hawaii - we're back in Alaska now (mostly because family is here and Hawaii is expensive and I missed AK), but if I would have had the opportunity to do Hawaiian (unlikely without 121 or jet time) I would take it. Sure the first year will suck, but it's the best brand I've ever seen, the best flying (717 is all short hops and cool inter-island stuff) and while there are aspects of that could certainly be improved (first year pay, some of the contractual stuff, etc) I'd say it's probably one of the best places to work in the country from the outside looking in.

It's not easy to get on there, but as far as I'm concerned, it is legitimately one of the coolest companies around. The only thing I think compares is holding the SE AK line at Alaska Airlines (and that doesn't seem as fun having done both types of flying). They're culture is cool, they allow beards, and they have badass flying to cool destinations. The amount of variation in the flying in Hawaii proper is enough to be interesting while offering the international destinations and mainland destinations if you get bored.

BobDDuck likes this.
  8. BobDDuck

BobDDuck Gone whale watching...

[QUOTE="ppragman, post: 2653631, member: 7120"but if I would have had the opportunity to do Hawaiian (unlikely without 121 or jet time) I would take it. [/QUOTE]

You're app is in, right?

9. z987k

z987k TeamANC

I'd sure love to snowbird it in Hawaii every year.

10. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

You're app is in, right?[/QUOTE]
    Not right now, unfortunately, but seriously, those of you out there thinking about going to work there, I've never seen so many smiling flight crews. At least try.

11. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

Once upon a time that was my plan. I would have totally dug doing summers up in AK, commute down for short hops in the 717, live on a boat at Ala Wai harbor, then in the winter Big Island.

z987k likes this.
  12. snOOp

snOOp Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone knows how to "parse" a resume when creating a new profile?

It says select the option to "parse", but I do not see that option. When I copy and paste my resume in the text box it comes out terrible.

Thanks for any input

13. Cessnaflyer

Cessnaflyer Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

For mine, there was a button that copied it over. The problem is it also still has my old resume in there as well that it wouldn't let me delete.

14. mastermags

mastermags Well-Known Member *giggity*

A Delta flight attendant on the tram in LAS told me she had heard from a mechanic that Delta was going to purchase Hawaiian, but she hadn't heard anything recently. So, yes?

I didn't even make that up.

bimmerphile and alaskadrifter like this.
  15. snOOp

snOOp Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response.

For some reason I do not get that option (Microsoft Word).

However thank you for the response back and best of luck to you moving forward with Hawaiian.

Mahalo

Cessnaflyer likes this.
  16. Seggy

Seggy Well-Known Member

17. BobDDuck

Contract Duration

5 year, 3 month (April 1st 2017- July 1st 2022).
    1 year (July 1st, 2021) early opener.

Fixed increases on 4/1/17 and 10/1/17 and then 2% on 10/1/18, 2% on 10/1/19, 2% on 10/1/20, 3% on 10/1/21 and 3% on 4/1/22.

Retroactive Pay

Retroactive pay from October 1st 2015--with an increase in October 1st 2016, to March 31st 2017, based on industry rates at those dates.
    Payed to all pilots for every month they were available, based on what seat and longevity they held during that month.
    Paid at 83 hours per month.

Pay is considered wages so it is pensionable and dues-able.

Section 1 - Scope

No change in Feeder scope (still limited to turboprop only, 69 or fewer seats).
    Comprehensive code share language that protects world wide and aggregates multiple airlines and cities.

Section 3 – Compensation

I can't post the pay charts yet, but they are out there. Raises on October 1st, 2017 are between 20% and 45%. Raises over the life of the contract are between 36% and 86% depending on fleet and seat. There was also an adjustment to the FO curve for years 2-5 increasing the percentage slightly.

No change to first year pay as of now. Company has the right to move the pay upward as they want. They are, apparently, still getting plenty of applicants, although we'll see for how long.

Section 4 – Trip Rig and MFGC

Trip rig moves from 1:4 to 1:3.5, which is pretty much industry standard. Adds up to 4+ hours to some 5 day trips.

Minimum Flight Grouping Credit, pays 4:10 per calendar day away from domicile. Starts 8/1/19.

Section 9 - Recurrent Training

Pay and credit for recurrent training has been increased from 4:00 hours per day to 4:10 per day.

Section 24 - Active Employee Health

Insurance premiums have increased slight. Capped at 19% (by 2020) with no more than a 3% increase YOY.

Company provided retiree health plan will end for current employees and be replaced with a Health Retirement Account (like an HSA) that the company will put in a chunk of money for every pilot such that it will equal 240K when they retire. For somebody retiring in 2045 that will end up being about 700K based on medical inflation. Funds are protected and in the pilot's name (like a 401k) and can be used for any eligible (per the IRS) medical expenses after age 65. Future new hires will receive an account with $5000 in it.

Miscellaneous

There are other less significant improvements and changes that will be explained at road shows and detailed later, including:

• Temporary Check Airman and Instructor Placement -- to help cover growing and shrinking fleets
    • Drug and Alcohol section enhancements -- better protections for pilots
    • Red day pay premiums -- 150% pay for trips picked up on "red" days
    • Use of electronic communications, and

18. Cessnaflyer

Cessnaflyer Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Looking good. I was taking to my contact a few days ago and he said that the internal letters of recommendation need to be emailed by them as well?

19. BobDDuck

That was my understanding. They want a copy from you and a copy from the recommender.

Cessnaflyer likes this.
  20. Getburned

Getburned Well-Known Member

What's the email address you send resume and recommendations, I lost it on exiting out of the application. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk