1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EFAS vs. FSS

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Revolutionist, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Revolutionist

Revolutionist New Member

I'm confused between the two. What are their universal frequencies? And what are their differences?
  2. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

EFAS (Flight Watch) is an enroute service that mirrors the same ARTCC sectors they serve, geographically. Universal low frequency is 122.0, and one of the universal high freqs (there's a few) is 134.725 for Flight Watch. They provide enroute and destination WX and solicit PIREPs. They're not for any sort of flight plan filing/modification, etc. Since its the same freq all over the U.S., you need to call and give your position from the nearest VORTAC/VOR so that the correct Flight Watch personnel can answer you (or call the correct Flight Watch by name, if you know it).

FSS can be called directly and is used mostly for flight plan needs (not normally to air file, though you can....that should be a preflight function), WX needs, and DF steers if the station is so capable. They have their own direct freqs, but can also be called via (normally) 122.1 and the pilot can tune the volume on a particular VORTAC and listen to them....ie- transmit on one freq, listen on another. To do this, you have to call and inform them which freq or NAVAID you'll be listening on. Additionally, there are a number of RCOs, or Remote Comm Outlets, noted on Sectional charts, that one can call the FSS on when in a particular area. Additionally, there are other UHF/VHF freqs they each have, as well as monitoring UHF/VHF Guard freqs. FSSs cover only a specific area NOT tied to the local ARTCC, such as ABQ FSS covering New Mexico and small portions of west Texas. FSS is addressed as "radio", as in "Prescott Radio"
  3. c172captain

c172captain Well-Known Member

I'm going to just pretend that I was going to go into that much detail... I guess a :yeahthat: would suffice lol
  4. MikeD

Can you tell I have nothing to do on the night shift? The neighborhood is quiet as I patrol solo, until the new shift checks in....which they have. :D
  5. c172captain

c172captain Well-Known Member

Rent-a-cop?
  6. MikeD

lol....No. working here! This neighborhood :D
  7. Douglas

Douglas Old School KSUX

:laff: