1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clarity aloft vs Zulu 2s?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by elmetal, Nov 19, 2013.

1. elmetal

elmetal Ain't nobody got time for that

So all you guys who have flown with clarity alofts and guys who have flown HP piston twins help me think this through.

I currently have zulu2s and fly a PA23-250. One of my coworkers just got the clarity alofts and I have been looking at lighter type headsets for a while but I just don't know how they fare reducing the absurd noise the Aztec makes. Anyone with experience?

I'm gonna try his headset in a day or two, but we typically fly 5+ hours a day, so I don't know how much trying it on for a bit will show me as far as practical noise reduction.

I love my zulu2s but they are just too bulky to travel with. #firstworldproblem

Maybe I should just shut up and stop trying to spend money.

anyone wanna do a clarity for zulu2 trade? or anyone wanna buy zulu2s?
  2. m77y

m77y Well-Known Member

i just got the Bose QC15/ uflymic. I used KW uflymic and it wasn't bad at all at cruise.
  3. elmetal

I mean, right now I'm on zulu2s which I love, but the qc15 ufly mix is just as bulky. I want to upgrade to get smaller in size, as far as operationally, the zulu2s work perfectly for me.

It's AB's stupid headset that got me thinking about this. Well it started with PCs
  4. m77y

m77y Well-Known Member

Another one of our Aztec drivers last year had the clarity and seemed to like them. I like the QC15 because there also a pretty awesome headset.
  5. z987k

z987k Other Barry.

IIRC, PC runs the Clarity alofts. You could ask him.

I really don't understand how the zulus are too big to travel with though....
  6. elmetal

I'm not a fan of bose headsets for music at any rate (the a20s are sweet but again, not for music). I like my IEMs for that.

He freaking loves them. I just don't get how their passive reduction can be as good as ANRs, but I guess since they're in ear that helps. hell when I tried to put my IEMs on under my headset I literally could not hear my radios at all. That was a bad decision.

It's not that they're bulky, it's that I pack in a 19 inch carryon + backpack. It's a fine setup for hotel > airplane > hotel. but when I have to get my headset and airline home it's one extra thing.

Plus the claritys are cheaper so hopefully if I can sell the zulus for a few bucks more than the clarity costs, I win!
  7. mat

mat Well-Known Member

The CA case is bigger than you'd expect, but I guess the difference matters if you're using a backpack. I've had it for a couple months but haven't flown yet, so can't help you there.

If you're trying to trade though... I'll trade, straight across, hah.

Attached Files:

8. elmetal

hahaa if you had the clarity link...
  9. z987k

z987k Other Barry.

I've never worn a set of passives that came close to my zulus, so honestly I doubt it does. You're trading off for less weight, which I certainly don't notice.
  10. skypilot6

skypilot6 Well-Known Member

I have the Clarity Aloft Pro headset. I have flown them in a PA-28, PA-44, PA-31, C-208, and CE-550.

They are by Far the best headset I have ever used. I went from a David Clark H-10-60 to the CA and it was an amazing change. I first used them flight instructing in AZ they were amazing in the summer, nothing clamping on your head and no more sweaty headset. As for in the PA-31 with new earpieces the engine noise is minimal, as the pieces wear it becomes a bit louder. and you'll have to replace the pieces a little more often than say in a single or jet. With new earpieces in the Jet I cannot hear a thing.

I remember when I first looked at the CA's several reviews commented that they were just as quiet as the Bose A10's, Ive never flown with the bose or any ANR so I cannot comment on that. But I do love my Clarity Alofts, and when they die out, I WILL be buying another one.