1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CFI flight time limits

Discussion in 'CFI Corner' started by Chief Captain, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Chief Captain

Chief Captain Well-Known Member

§61.195 says that a CFI must not exceed 8hrs dual give in a 24hr period. However I always hear that a CFI must have 1 day free of instruction in every 7 days. The problem is that I can't seem to find that written down anywhere.

Can somebody point me in the right direction, or is this just an old reg?

Thanks

2. Inverted25

Inverted25 Well-Known Member

Is that a requirment of all CFI or just 141 cfis. I ask because I know many cfis who have gone way beyond 8 hours in one day at my local part 61 school.

3. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Well-Known Member

first, as far as I am aware:

8 hours in 24 is the only reg written by the feds, the rest may be personal flight school restrictions.

Second, It is 8 hours FLIGHT time, not duty time. As long as a CFI does not exceed 8 in 24, they are okay. This does not include ground time.

4. Inverted25

Inverted25 Well-Known Member

Not sure on the 8 hours of flight time. But how does this work. Is it going back 24 hours from the now all the time. Because than it would be easy to do. have a few night flights then wak eup in the morning and fly with a few students. You could easily push over 8 hours within the last 24 hours if you going back 23 hours from right now.

5. Pilot Hopeful

Pilot Hopeful Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with a 1-in-7 limitation, though work rules at a particular flight school might require 1 day off every 7. Perhaps you could ask those who are telling you about this limitation to point you in the right direction?

6. particlem86

particlem86 New Member

8 hours of flight time in the last 24 hours. You just look back 24 hours from right...... NOW. If you have over 8 hours dual given in your logbook, you broke the law!

And for the 1 in 7... I've never heard of it, and I've had the privilege of working 30 days in a row.... Most flight schools would go out of business if they had to give their instructors a day off every week.

7. subpilot

subpilot Squawking 7600

Since we don't log the time of day for flights I am sure many people go by the 8 hours in one day rule, even if it is incorrect.

8. Blackhawk

Blackhawk Well-Known Member

A word of caution to those who ignore this rule. I have seen logbooks checked for a violation of this rule during the hiring process. If one was found you were shown the door immediately.

9. SpiceWeasel

SpiceWeasel Tre Kronor

Do those checking the book go by 8/24 or 8/1 .... because without some Z times in the logbook I'd imagine it might be a little tough during an interview to quantify WHEN the hours took place.

10. Blackhawk

Blackhawk Well-Known Member

They look for obvious violations.

11. Niuflyer22

Niuflyer22 Well-Known Member

I have never heard of the one in seven rule being part of the FARs. However it may be a state labor law that employees be given one day off every seven.

12. Chief Captain

Chief Captain Well-Known Member

Thanks guys