1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATP Requirements

Discussion in 'CFI Corner' started by flymo, May 6, 2009.

1. flymo

flymo Well-Known Member

Do the 500 hours of cross-country time required for an ATP have to consist of legs greater than 50 NM or can it be point to point like the Part 135 requirements?

2. mojo6911

mojo6911 Well-Hung Member

There is no such thing as "Part 135 XC". The point to point you are referring to comes from part 61.

There doesn't actually have to be a landing for the ATP XC requirements. So, for example, if you fly 50nm away from your destination, but never land, it counts towards the ATP.

3. flymo

flymo Well-Known Member

Ok, but looking closer, 61.1 (b)(3)(i) says "except as provided in paragraphs...(b)(3)(vi) of this section...."

Then looking at 61.1 (b)(3)(vi), it specifies that it must be a straight line distance 50 NM from the original point of departure.

So does that mean it still counts if you fly 50 NM away from the destination and not land?

Edit: I see you answered my question above.

4. TheAviator737

TheAviator737 Well-Known Member

Thats correct. Only for the ATP certificate you have to fly 50NM away from point of departure but do not actually have to land there. I am not sure how you would log it without landing. Maybe in the remarks section of your logbook put "flew farther then 50NM" That just seems so sketchy in my eyes and im using as much "landing farther than 50NM" as I can, if I fall short of the time, I might be doing flights farther then 50 really quick. I'd like to get it on my 23rd birthday, Happy Birthday to myself :bandit:

5. mojo6911

mojo6911 Well-Hung Member

You could make a new column or something. I believe the intent was to allow military guys that might fly to another country and never land to be able to apply that time towards the ATP.

6. nosehair

nosehair Well-Known Member

Write an identifiable point in the "TO" column where you normaly put an airport.

It could be an airport over which you flew, or a navaid, or a written town name, or even lat/long. The "TO" column is not a landing column, there's another column for that.