1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATP, 1800 TT, 121 Experience. What am I worth?

Discussion in 'Jobs Needed' started by Austin Wood, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Austin Wood

Austin Wood Well-Known Member

Started flying the desk after furloughed in 2012. What am I worth in the pilot world with these qualifications?

Thanks!

2. WS

WS Well-Known Member

Not much to go on there...

Depends where you live, if you're willing to commute, what kind of flying you want to do etc etc. Might be a bit more difficult if you haven't touched an airplane since 2012 but I'm sure someone would hire you.

There are regionals advertising $60k/year for first year FOs though...

3. Austin Wood

I've been flying my own plane and instructing on the side the whole time...West coast. not sure about regionals...

4. GypsyPilot

GypsyPilot Well-Known Member

Well, you're not going to get any kind of 91 gig that's worth a damn. You can get into a dumpy 135 gig though, but at that point you'd be better off (much better off) with a regional.

TLDR, you have very little experience and TT. Go to a regional and get some experience, start networking and possibly get a corporate gig.

WS likes this.
  5. Hacker15e

Hacker15e The Intersection of Opportunity and Preparation

Oddball question..."what am I worth"...with not enough to go on to give advice.

Is there are particular type of flying job you're looking for here in the short term? Long term professional/career goals?

Lifestyle preferences for your job? Willing to relocate?

anderair likes this.
  6. WS

WS Well-Known Member

Well, with those times there are options, but they are limited especially if you don't want to relocate. Major airlines probably aren't going to take you til you have a bit more time, so you're probably limited to regionals at the 121 level. Cargo could be an option too

On the west coast, for regionals SkyWest and Horizon are probably the main options, I don't think Compass is hiring. I think you would start in the low 30s at Horizon, though they are offering a $10k bonus as well. Skywest is a little higher, but not sure about their bonus. If you wanted to commute back east you could do quite a bit better in terms of pay. For SkyWest & Horizon pay goes up to around $40k-ish on second year pay, and upgrades at most shops is below 3 years now which would probably put you into the mid $60k range by then and increasing each year fairly rapidly from there.

I think Ameriflight would get you into the mid $40k range right off the bat in a Piper Navajo or maybe Beech 99 if you wanted to go the cargo route. There are also a few Caravan operators in that range as well. Empire is the main one that comes to mind, but Martinaire also has a handful of planes based on the west coast as well.

I'm sure there are also some other corporate type gigs as well, but those are the ones I know about.

It's a pilot's market right now for sure. If you're thinking about getting back into the game, now is probably a great time to do it. Pay has been rapidly increasing in the last few years, and many places are struggling to fill classes.

Austin Wood likes this.
  7. Austin Wood

I'll need something in the $70-80k range to keep the lights on at home. It doesn't seem like I can make the leap - for the second time - at this point. It's all about how desperate they get I guess..

Thanks!

8. WS

WS Well-Known Member

I bet you could get back there within a few years and with some luck do a bit better after a few more, but if that's what you need to keep the lights on, you need cheaper lights. LEDs man... LEDs!

Austin Wood likes this.